MA on MACD histogram  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tj6p

MA on MACD histogram

Postby tj6p » 18 Oct 2011

Wow! I just downloaded MCDT tonight. I can see there is going to be a steep learning curve here but I getting the basics going and what an incredible array of options and features. I look forward to beginning to master it.

Question: I want to put a moving average on a MACD histogram. I can't get the histo to display by itself (without the 2 MACD lines). As a result when I put the MA on the indicator it attaches to the MACD lines not the histo like I desire.

Is it possible to do this in MCDT?

Thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Re: MA on MACD histogram

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 18 Oct 2011

You can make MACD lines invisible.
To do that please make a right click on the chart->Format indicators->MACD->Format->Style tab->Style->Invisible.

tj6p

Thanks for that. I had not discovered the invisible line feature yet. Unfortunately the MA still attaches itself to the invisible lines instead of the histo like I want. I think need the histo to display on it's own in order to solve my issue.

Henry MultiСharts

Please let me know what inputs do you have for Moving Average.
Please describe how MA should attach to the MACD histogram.

Postby Guest » 18 Oct 2011

Henry,

I have MACD open in sub chart 2. To this I've added a 7 period MA with inputs of close, 7, 0. Then under properties I've selected sub chart 2.

What I just know realized is I have a 7MA of price that overlays the MACD in sub chart 2. What I want is a 7 period MA of the histo values that smooths the histo towers out.

Any idea if this is possible?

Brian

Henry MultiСharts

You can base your Moving Average study on the MACDDiff.
In the MA inputs you need to use this formula: MACD( Close, FastLength, SlowLength ) - XAverage( MACD( Close, FastLength, SlowLength ), MACDLength )
You need to use your inputs instead of FastLength, SlowLength, MACDLength.

tj6p

Can this be done in MCDT?

When I go to "properties" then to "base study on" I don't seem to have any option other than the one instrument I've currently selected (ESZ1). I can't delete it or enter anything other than what's already there.

Is this a limitation of Discretionary Trader or am I missing something?

Henry MultiСharts

Please make a right click on the chart->Format indicators->Moving average->Format->Inputs->Price->MACD( Close, FastLength, SlowLength ) - XAverage( MACD( Close, FastLength, SlowLength ), MACDLength )

tj6p

Thanks for sticking with me here. It must take quite awhile to become adept at all the intricacies of the program.

Anyway, I rt click and end up at "Format Study: Mov Avg 1 Line" > inputs > price >, I delete "close" and cut and paste in the formula and I get an error message saying, "! Wrong input expression"

What am I missing now?

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Oct 2011

Thanks for sticking with me here. It must take quite awhile to become adept at all the intricacies of the program.

Anyway, I rt click and end up at "Format Study: Mov Avg 1 Line" > inputs > price >, I delete "close" and cut and paste in the formula and I get an error message saying, "! Wrong input expression"

What am I missing now?
try it with this input:

MACD( Close, 6, 12) - XAverage( MACD( Close, 6, 12), 9)

tj6p

Re: MA on MACD histogram  [SOLVED]

...getting closer!

The formula worked but it seems to be scaled to the MACD rather than the histo.

Any options? Do you want a screen shot of the histo with MA over it?

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Oct 2011

...getting closer!

The formula worked but it seems to be scaled to the MACD rather than the histo.

Any options? Do you want a screen shot of the histo with MA over it?
just click on the scale, hold down the left button and drag the mouse up and down to re-scale.

tj6p

I can get it re-scaled but I can't get it to overlay the histo.

I want to use the MA as a signal, when the histo crosses over it I will look to change direction on my trade. With the scaling and positioning being manual I will lose the "precision" of the location of MA to histo.

What I was looking for is a MA on the histo that tracks the towers just as a MA on price tracks the candles. I guess the relationship of the MA to price is built into the code somehow so it has a consistent movement around price.

Free stock charts.com has what I need but they don't have 24 hr ES charts. I can send you a screen shot of the histo setup with MA if that would help.

Thoughts?

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Oct 2011

I can get it re-scaled but I can't get it to overlay the histo.

I want to use the MA as a signal, when the histo crosses over it I will look to change direction on my trade. With the scaling and positioning being manual I will lose the "precision" of the location of MA to histo.

What I was looking for is a MA on the histo that tracks the towers just as a MA on price tracks the candles. I guess the relationship of the MA to price is built into the code somehow so it has a consistent movement around price.

Free stock charts.com has what I need but they don't have 24 hr ES charts. I can send you a screen shot of the histo setup with MA if that would help.

Thoughts?
use the moving average 2 lines indicator.

ps. Better still, get the full version of MultiCharts. You won't regret it.
You can get the histogram to change color on cross over.
You can program sound alerts, pop up windows, big arrow reminder...
better still... use autotrade !

tj6p

Well that's where I figured I'd end up but I was hoping to perhaps squeak by for a while with the freebie platform. I have been putting off for over a year now committing to a platform. I've known I need to learn how to write code to test and implement some of my ideas. I've been putting it off due to the learning curve and frustration factor associated with learning a new program. And trading platforms can be daunting.

Any thought on where to begin to learn to write code? Is it just trial and error or is there a more structured/efficient process that makes it easier?

Also, TJ, when you mentioned use 2 line MA, am I correct to assume you meant to use it as a simple cross over system?

Thanks TJ and Henry for all your help. I may not have gotten exactly where I wanted to go but I sure know a lot more about MC than I did this AM.

Brian

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Oct 2011

Well that's where I figured I'd end up but I was hoping to perhaps squeak by for a while with the freebie platform. I have been putting off for over a year now committing to a platform. I've known I need to learn how to write code to test and implement some of my ideas. I've been putting it off due to the learning curve and frustration factor associated with learning a new program. And trading platforms can be daunting.

Any thought on where to begin to learn to write code? Is it just trial and error or is there a more structured/efficient process that makes it easier?
EasyLanguage is real easy.
Use the program you have right now.
When you are familiar with the user interface, then download the full version for a 30 free trial.
Also, TJ, when you mentioned use 2 line MA, am I correct to assume you meant to use it as a simple cross over system?

Thanks TJ and Henry for all your help. I may not have gotten exactly where I wanted to go but I sure know a lot more about MC than I did this AM.

Brian
Yes, use the code above for one of the MA,
and 1 period for the second MA,
then you have have a synchronized MACD histogram cross over.

Postby Guest » 18 Oct 2011

TJ,

It just dawned on me what you meant. (I can be a little slow on the uptake at times)
Set the fast ma to 1 or 2 and the slow to 7 and "presto chango" I've got exactly what I wanted when I use the code you provided.

It really worked! Thanks again!

Brian

PS as I was just about to submit this you sent me your clarification

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Oct 2011

TJ,

It just dawned on me what you meant. (I can be a little slow on the uptake at times)
Set the fast ma to 1 or 2 and the slow to 7 and "presto chango" I've got exactly what I wanted when I use the code you provided.

It really worked! Thanks again!

Brian

PS as I was just about to submit this you sent me your clarification
I am glad you are enjoying this...
The fun has just begun.

Return to “MultiCharts”