Adjusted historical data with IQFeed?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Xyzzy

Adjusted historical data with IQFeed?

Postby Xyzzy » 31 Oct 2011

I created a chart for SPY based on daily bars, using data from my IQFeed account. I then noticed some differences between this chart and an equivalent chart that I created using StockCharts.com. This appears to be because StockCharts.com is using back-adjusted data, while the MultiCharts chart is not.

The historical data for SPY is shown here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=SPY&a=0 ... f=2011&g=d

For example, a dividend issued for SPY on September 16, 2011, so both Yahoo and StockCharts are showing adjusted prices for September 15 and earlier. However, the MultiCharts chart is showing the actual prices, not the adjusted prices. (E.g., the actual close of 121.43 for September 15, rather than the adjusted close of 120.81.)

I would prefer to use adjusted data. Should MultiCharts be loading adjusted data by default, or is there some way to force it to use adjusted data? I'm not sure if this is an issue with MultiCharts, IQFeed, or some interaction between them.

Thanks in advance.

Xyzzy

Re: Adjusted historical data with IQFeed?

By the way, I also exported the historical data for SPY using QuoteManager (file attached), and compared it to the adjusted Yahoo data. This confirms that QuoteManager is loading the actual historical prices, rather than the adjusted prices.
Attachments
spy.txt
(182.22 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 31 Oct 2011

I created a chart for SPY based on daily bars, using data from my IQFeed account. I then noticed some differences between this chart and an equivalent chart that I created using StockCharts.com. This appears to be because StockCharts.com is using back-adjusted data, while the MultiCharts chart is not.

The historical data for SPY is shown here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=SPY&a=0 ... f=2011&g=d

For example, a dividend issued for SPY on September 16, 2011, so both Yahoo and StockCharts are showing adjusted prices for September 15 and earlier. However, the MultiCharts chart is showing the actual prices, not the adjusted prices. (E.g., the actual close of 121.43 for September 15, rather than the adjusted close of 120.81.)

I would prefer to use adjusted data. Should MultiCharts be loading adjusted data by default, or is there some way to force it to use adjusted data? I'm not sure if this is an issue with MultiCharts, IQFeed, or some interaction between them.

Thanks in advance.
MultiCharts is a charting program. It charts whatever data provided by your dataprovider (IQFeed).
If the data from IQFeed is adjusted, it will show up on your chart as adjusted.
MultiCharts does not know if there was a dividend or split, nor how much was paid. In another word, MultiCharts does not have the basis for the adjustments.

Some dataprovider supply adjusted data; you should check with IQFeed to see if they have it.

TJ

Postby TJ » 31 Oct 2011

The only backadjustment available in MultiCharts is for futures contracts.
You have to create a custom contract, then define the adjustment criteria when one contract expires and rolls into the newer one.

Xyzzy

Thanks TJ. It was my understanding that IQ Feed data for equities was back-adjusted for splits and dividends. I think I'm mistaken -- it looks like it is back-adjusted for splits, but not dividends.

Return to “MultiCharts”