Tracking MultiCharts' logs the easy way

Read before posting.
JoshM

Tracking MultiCharts' logs the easy way

Postby JoshM » 13 Nov 2011

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share with you an awesome open source (yes, free!) program called SnakeTail. What's great about SnakeTail is that it can display large logs with little memory usage, check these periodically for new lines (for example, every 500 milliseconds though this is configurable), and the keyword highlight function makes it very easy to quickly spot the lines in the log that are of interest to you.

For example, this is my default SnakeTail screen (the font size, colours and background can be changed):
screenshot.83.png
With the keyword highlight, an error is easily spotted:
screenshot.82.png
Personally, I find this a easier way to keep track of the status of the data connections than using the QuoteManager window and the Order and Position Tracker window.

Regards,
Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hilbert

Re: Tracking MultiCharts' logs the easy way

Postby hilbert » 30 Oct 2014

Personally, I find this a easier way to keep track of the status of the data connections than using the QuoteManager window and the Order and Position Tracker window.
Hi Josh, Thanks for the utility. Its been some time, so I thought I would ask you if you still use this utility to track status of data connections rather than using QM and OPT window? Thanks.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 03 Nov 2014

Hi Josh, Thanks for the utility. Its been some time, so I thought I would ask you if you still use this utility to track status of data connections rather than using QM and OPT window? Thanks.
I still use SnakeTail every so often, but don't use it anymore for keeping track of the MC logs.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 03 Nov 2014

I still use SnakeTail every so often, but don't use it anymore for keeping track of the MC logs.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Has MC made any changes in QM and OPT windows that you find it useful to monitor these logs using SnakeTail anymore?

I ask because I am thinking of starting to monitor QM/OPT logs using SnakeTail as you suggested. But if you don't monitor it anymore, does it mean something has changed or you don't find it useful anymore? Thanks.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 15 Nov 2014

I ask because I am thinking of starting to monitor QM/OPT logs using SnakeTail as you suggested. But if you don't monitor it anymore, does it mean something has changed or you don't find it useful anymore? Thanks.
No, it just means I have no need for it anymore. :) Nowadays I have a longer time horizon so the monitoring of the logs is something I don't consider needed anymore.

Sorry for the slow response btw, I overlooked this forum section during my visits.

Edit: This sounds like an interesting idea to make a little app for, since that would be more convenient to use than reading the raw logs. And also important, quicker to read with more actionable information. If I have a little time in the coming weeks I'll take a look at this to see if that is possible.

Return to “MultiCharts FAQ”