Location of DLLs for MC8x64

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
molarfish

Location of DLLs for MC8x64

Postby molarfish » 14 Feb 2012

Hi,
I am very grateful for Multicharts x64. Great work!
However I am having trouble with my existing DLLs.
All my signals that use external DLLs are Message: 'Error in study Can't find dll "etc".'
Where should I place external DLLs for MCx64?
I have them copied to every directory I know possible.
Windows\System32
Windows\SysWOW64
c:\Multicharts program directory
Is it that x64 can't access x86 DLLs?
Your time is kindly appreciated.

molarfish

Re: Location of DLLs for MC8x64

Postby molarfish » 14 Feb 2012

Sorry, I found the answer I was looking for after getting off my butt and doing a search:
Dear Users,

Again, I would like to point out that we will support both 32 and 64 bits versions of MultiCharts. As for 32 bit external dll functions, they should be used with 32 bit version of MC. This is the operation system limitation. If you want to use your external functions in 64 bit version of MC they should be 64 bit.

All possible solutions to use 32 bit dlls in a 64 bit application, including the solutions described above are based on using an extra 32 bit process and have two major weaknesses:

1. They are limited to one particular dll function and are not universal solutions.

2. They will slow down the performance of your 32 bit dll in 64 bit MC considerably (up to 10 times) compared to 32 bit MC because of the extra processes used.
The particulary DLL I am interested in converting is the FastFileAppend.DLL
If anyone could convert this, I would be eternally grateful. Unfortunately my programming abilities are very basic.

Return to “MultiCharts”