Import Symbol List
Import Symbol List enables the user to import a text file that contains a list of symbols and their parameters.
The feature allows the user to import a list of symbols into QuoteManager quickly instead of manually adding the symbols one by one.
Preparing the Text File
The text file may contain the following fields per row: Symbol Name, Symbol Root, Description, Exchange, and Category. Of these fields, only the Symbol Name field is required. Symbol Root shall be added in case if it is different from the Symbol Name. QuoteManager will prompt the user for the missing information during the import process. The missing fields can also be entered manually into QuoteManager one by one after the symbol is imported.
Each field should be separated by a delimiter. The delimiter can be a comma, semi-colon, space, tab, or other character.
An example of the contents of a text file is shown below:
The order of the columns do not matter. However, each column must contain the same type of data.
In the example above, the second field of every row must be the “Description” field. The third field of every row must be the "Exchange" field.
Importing a Symbol List
To import a list of symbols:
- Open QuoteManager window
- see how
- Select File in the main menu and then select Import Symbol List. The Import Symbols Wizard window will appear.
- Use the Browse button to select the text file. Select Next.
- In the Start Import at Row number box, enter the row number to start the import. Select Next.
For example, if the first row of the text file contains header names instead of symbol data, then start the import at row 2.
- In Set Data Delimiters, select the type of delimiter used in the text file.
- Select the Treat Consecutive Delimiters as One checkbox to consider consecutive delimiters the same as one delimiter. If this box is checked, consecutive delimiters will not be considered as an empty field.
- Choose the text qualifier from the Text Qualifier drop down list. Select Next.
For example, if a text field can have double quotes around it (e.g., “MSFT”). If the double quote text qualifier is selected, then MultiCharts will recognize that the user wishes to import MSFT without the quotes.
- Use the drop down lists to assign the column names to the columns in the text file. Select Next.
- In the Select Data Source drop down list, select the data source for the symbols.
- If the Exchange and Category columns were not previously assigned to a column in the text file, then use the Exchange and Category drop-down lists to specify the information.
- Select Finish. The symbols will be imported into QuoteManager.