Enters a short position as specified by the parameters.
The entry point is visually indicated on a chart by an Arrow and a Tick. The Arrow identifies the time and the Tick identifies the price value of the entry point. Labels, displaying the entry name and the number of contracts or shares traded, are displayed above the Short Arrow.
When a Sell Short order is filled, any open long positions will also be closed.
SellShort[("EntryLabel")] [TradeSize] Entry
Sell Short[("EntryLabel")] [TradeSize] Entry
Parameters inside the square brackets are optional - if these aren't defined, the default is used.
- EntryLabel - an optional parameter; assigns a name that will be displayed in the name label above the entry, and can be used to identify the particular entry and to tie an exit to it.
- An exit can only be tied to an entry within the same signal; for more information, see BuyToCover.
- If EntryLabel is not specified, the name "Short" will be used for the first entry, "Short#2" for the second entry, "Short#3" for the third entry, etc.
- TradeSize - an optional parameter; a numerical expression, specifying the number of contracts or shares to sell short; the expression must be followed by one of the following interchangeable words: Share, Shares, Contract or Contracts.
- If the TradeSize value equals 0 or is negative, a short position will not be entered but any open long positions will be closed.
- If TradeSize is not specified, the trade size value set by the user in the Properties tab of the Strategy Properties window will be used.
- Entry - a required parameter; specifies the timing and price of entry. See below for more information about the different type of entry.
Four types of entry
There are four types of Entry:
Enter this bar on close
This Bar On Close
- On - a skip word and can be omitted.
A Short Arrow will be placed at the current bar's Close tick.
Enter next bar at open
Next Bar At Open
Next Bar At Market
- Words Market and Open are interchangeable.
- At - a skip word and can be omitted.
A Short Arrow will be placed at the next bar's Open tick.
Enter next bar at limit
Next Bar At Price Limit
A Short Arrow will be placed on the next bar at the first tick with a price equal to or greater than the Price; if there are no such ticks within the next bar, the order will be cancelled.
Enter next bar at stop
Next Bar At Price Stop
A Short Arrow will be placed on the next bar at the first tick with a price value less than or equal to Price; if there are no such ticks within the next bar, the order will be cancelled.
SellShort a user-set number of shares at Market price on close of this bar:
SellShort This Bar On Close;
SellShort 1 share at Market price on open of next bar and label the entry "Entry":
SellShort("Entry")1 Share Next Bar At Open;
SellShort 1 contract at Market price on open of next bar and label the entry "Entry":
SellShort("Entry")1 Contract Next Bar Market;
SellShort 2 shares within the next bar on the first tick with a price of 100 or more:
SellShort 2 Shares Next Bar At 100 Limit;
SellShort 10 contracts within the next bar on the first tick with a price of 50 or less:
SellShort 10 Contracts Next Bar 50 Stop;