It is possible to do a backup of user data and application settings in a few clicks starting from MultiCharts 11 Beta 1 version.
To transfer data to a new PC, or keep your data safe (we do recommend to back up your data on a regular basis to avoid any data and settings loss), you can make a backup of data on your current PC and restore it on the new PC, or save the current setup and user data on a separate hard drive, cloud, etc.
Backup and Restore applications will help you import data into a different MultiCharts product or save a backup to avoid data loss.
Before you run Backup, make sure that MultiCharts is closed and no MultiCharts Processes are running in Task Manager.
To Launch Backup Application:
- Click Windows Start button;
- Select All Programs;
- Find your MultiCharts version;
- Click Backup.
MultiCharts Backup cannot be started now as MultiCharts processes are currently running. Please close all MultiCharts processes and restart the MultiCharts Backup.
“Read-Only studies will not be backed up” appears, it means that studies in .sef format will not be backed up, this is how it works by design. Please export them manually.
To Back up Data:
- Check / uncheck the Application Settings checkbox if you want to make a backup copy of the window layout settings, hotkeys, commissions, MultiCharts preferences, automated and manual trading settings and the data storage options in QuoteManager.
- Check / uncheck the Instrument List and Settings checkbox if you want to make a backup copy of the list of instruments, the instrument settings and Symbol Dictionary. Enabling this option does not store the data of the instruments. To save the instrument data please mark the «Instrument Data» checkbox.
- Check / uncheck the Instrument Data checkbox if you want to back up the data of all the instruments in QuoteManager.
- Check / uncheck the Studies (Functions, Signals and Indicators) checkbox if you want to make a backup copy of the studies. Read-Only studies are not backed up.
- Check / uncheck the Order & Position Tracker Data checkbox if you want to make a backup copy of the trading history.
- Check / uncheck the Private Authentication Data checkbox if you want to store the data that may contain personal information such as logins and passwords for broker or data feed connections. When this option is checked, you will see a warning message “By enabling this option you agree to include personal information into the archive. Are you sure you want to save this data?” where you need to click “Yes” to save the data.
- Check / uncheck the Data Feed Settings checkbox if you want to back up the settings of all the data feeds.
- Check / uncheck the Broker Profiles checkbox if you want to back up the settings of all the broker profiles.
- Check / uncheck the E-mail Alert Settings checkbox if you want to make a backup copy of the settings to access the E-mail server.
- Check / uncheck the Custom Resolution Plugins checkbox to make a backup copy of your Custom Resolution Plugins.
- Check / uncheck the My Documents checkbox if you want to save any user data in the following formats: mcd, wsp, pws, ors, pln, pla, sef and tml.
- Check / uncheck the Desktop checkbox if you want to save any user data in the following formats: mcd, wsp, pws, ors, pln, pla, sef and tml.
- You can click Add Folder and select the folder where your user data is saved.
- Click on the Lookup button to select the folder where the collected files will be located. The file name will be generated automatically. After that, click Backup button.
Backup Scheduler Settings:
It’s possible to schedule a backup of certain data on a regular basis. You need to click Add Configuration, then select the data you want to back up in Application Settings tab. Go to Schedule Settings tab to configure the time of scheduled backup and the folder where it will be saved. It’s possible to change the name of the schedule by clicking on the Name, typing a new name and then clicking Apply.
- To make a backup only once you need to select One time option and select the Start task time.
- To make a backup on a daily basis you need to select Daily option and select Start task time and the frequency of backup (every day, once in 3 days, etc.).
- To make a backup on a weekly basis you need to select Weekly option and select Start task time and the frequency of backup (every week, once in 2 weeks, etc.) and select Day of the week.
- To make a backup on a monthly basis, you need to select Monthly, then select the months you want to do backup on and select either a specific day or days of the month (On Days) or specific time of the week, such as First Tuesday or Last Friday (On Specifically).
- Then select Enabled option and Save the schedule.
It’s possible to add several schedules to backup data.
When Backup is complete you will see one of the following notifications:
- Backup completed successfully. Click this message to view the file.
- Backup completed with errors. Click this message to view the file. In case Backup is done with errors, you can check what errors have appeared by opening the Backup file in Restore Application. To do that make sure no MultiCharts processes are launched in Task Manager. Then start Restore application -> select the Backup file and then click Show Backup Log. It will open a text file where you can see what errors backup is done with.
- Backup failed. Click on the message to run Feedback.