How to Have Same Calculation Results in MultiCharts vs. TradeStation
Though these 2 software are similar in many aspects, and the scripting languages (EasyLanguage vs. PowerLanguage) are 99% compatible, strategy/study calculation results may in fact differ.
To have the same results, make sure the following requirements are met:
Make sure the data on the charts is the same both in MC and in TS:
- The same data source (TradeStation) should be used to feed charts in MC and in TS software. Comparing strategy/study calculation results on charts with data from different data providers is irrelevant.
- The same symbol should be plotted on charts in MC and TS software. It means the symbol should have exactly the same name and exchange.
- The same chart type should be selected for both charts in MC and in TS. It's impractical to compare results based on different chart types even within 1 software.
- The same Chart Resolution should be set for both charts. It is irrelevant to compare results based on different chart resolutions even within 1 software.
- Since TradeStation software does not allow using asks and bids as a data series on a chart, only trades should be selected in MultiCharts in Quote Field.
- The same Sessions should be applied for the symbols in both softwares. It is important to understand that having “default” in the session field for a chart in MC does not mean the same sessions are set for a chart in TS. Please read this article to learn more.
- If the strategy/study references volume data for its calculation, the same option should be selected in the Build Volume On field in the chart settings for both TS and MC.
- The same time interval should be specified in the Data Range setting for charts in TS and MC.
- If the strategy/study references date and time for its calculation, the same option should be selected in the Time Zone field in the chart settings both TS and MC.
- Even if the data range and session settings are the same, the actual number of bars on the chart in a MC vs. a chart in TS may still differ (for example due to Holiday List). This difference may lead to different strategy/study calculation results. It is necessary to make the actual number of bars on the charts either the same or as close to each other as possible.Note: In MultiCharts you can see last bar number in Hint or Data Window if you put your cursor on the last bar on the chart. In TradeStation this is not available right away, but there is an easy way to find it:
Make a right-click on chart in TS -> Insert Analysis Technique… -> Indicators tab -> Select Custom 1 Line indicator -> Ok -> Insert the following as the Formula input currentbar+maxbarsback -> Ok. You will see the indicator on the subchart showing the actual number of bars.
- The price formats on the chart should be the same. This means that the number of digits in the integer part of the price scale and number of digits in the decimal part of the Price Scale should be the same in a MC chart and a TS chart.
Make sure the applied study/strategy and its settings are the same:
- Since EasyLanguage(TS) and PowerLanguage(MC) are almost the same but not 100%, the script may require some syntax adjustment, but the logic of the script should be the same in both software.
- Make sure strategy/study inputs are the same for both scripts in MC and in TS.
- IntraBar Order Generation and Bar Magnifier features for signals (strategies) in MultiCharts work slightly different from their counterparts in TradeStation. One should not expect identical results if any of these 2 features are used.
- Limit Order Fill Assumptions should also be configured identically for the charts in both platforms. TradeStation has additional options for this feature that are not supported in MultiCharts.
- The feature Market Order Fill Assumption (Backtesting tab of Strategy Properties) is not implemented in MultiCharts. It should be disabled in TradeStation.
- Commissions, Slippage (that does not affect limit and stop limit orders in MC), Initial Capital, Interest Rate, Position Limits (pyramiding), Maximum Shares/Contracts/Units per Position, Trade Size and especially Maximum Number of Bars Study Will Reference (MaxBarsBack) should be configured identically in MultiCharts and TradeStation.
- As for automated execution in real-time with your broker account, there are multiple settings in MultiCharts that could make difference in comparison to TradeStation.