Using Optimization Report
After the optimization process is complete a detailed Strategy Optimization Report is displayed.
The Strategy Optimization Report allows for reviewing the results of all the test inputs combinations.
- 1 Accessing Strategy Optimization Report
- 2 Spreadsheet view
- 3 Working with 2D Graphs
- 4 Working with 3D Graphs
- 5 Storing Strategy Optimization Report within Workspace
- 6 Saving Strategy Optimization Report
- 7 Viewing Strategy Optimization Report in the Optimization Result Visualizer
Accessing Strategy Optimization Report
To open a Strategy Optimization Report:
- Apply a strategy to a chart.
- Run an optimization. The report will be opened as soon as the optimization is completed. After that the report of the completed optimization can be accessed from the View menu -> Strategy Optimization Report, or from the Chart Analysis -> Strategy Optimization Report .
Spreadsheet columns represent 18 strategy performance indices and all inputs that have been optimized. Each spreadsheet row represents a set of test results for a given inputs combination.
The performance indices include:
Avg Winning Trade
Avg Losing Trade
Max Consecutive Wins
Max Consecutive Losses
Avg # of Bars in Winners
Avg # of Bars in Losers
Maximum Intraday Drawdown
Return on Account
Sorting Strategy Optimization Report
It is possible to sort out the Optimization Report by any combination of 3 criteria in either Descending or Ascending order.
To modify the sorting order:
- In the Optimization Report set the criterion and sorting order from the Sort by drop-down list.
- Repeat for the second drop-down list.
- Repeat for the third drop-down list.
- Check Use as Default to save settings for future use (if required).
Applying an Inputs Combination to a Chart
It is possible to apply the inputs combination that produced the best strategy results after the last optimization to the strategy.
To apply an inputs combination:
- Double-click on the desired row in the report.
- Click Yes in the confirmation window.
Working with 2D Graphs
To display a Strategy Optimization Report as a 2D graph select the 2D Graph tab. In the 2D Graph view the results of the report are presented as lines. The lines represent the performance indices per one or several strategy inputs. The base input selector is located in the lower part of the window, additional inputs are configured in the graph settings. The 2D Graph can also be opened in a separate window. To do that in the Optimization Report window click on this icon: .
The graph can be zoomed in and out using the scroll wheel of the mouse, and moved within the window using the keyboard arrows. Resetting the graph to its original view requires double-clicking on it or clicking on the reset button that’s found in the upper left corner: .
Each indice line can be moved up and down separately with the help of the left mouse button. Right-clicking on one of the lines displays the function’s value in that particular point.
2D Graph Settings
- Show Legend. Check this option to display the legend in the upper right corner.
- Smoothed Line. Check it to smooth the angles of the graph lines.
- X Axis Input. Select one of the inputs to be displayed along the X Axis.
- Single Function with Variable Inputs. If this option is selected it is possible to view how a performance index (function) is changing on different input values. Apart from Function and Input themselves such parameters as Gradient Range, Number of Values and Input Values Range can be configured.
- Multiple Functions with Fixed Inputs. If this option is selected it is possible to view how several performance indices (functions) are changing on the fixed input values. The settings for this option include the choice of the set of functions and their colors. One can select all and clear the choice of all functions by clicking on the corresponding buttons Select All and Clear All.
Fixed Inputs tab
This tab contains the inputs that weren’t selected on the Graph tab. The remaining inputs can be manually set to the desired values using the dropdown list.
Working with 3D Graphs
As the name suggests, this option allows for viewing the optimization report in the 3D format. The 3D Graph can be zoomed in and out and also rotated with the help of the scroll-wheel and left mouse button correspondingly.
3D Graph Settings
The inputs and function for the XYZ axis can be changed using the context menu by right clicking on the names of the XYZ axis and then selecting the necessary input, or by clicking on the gear icon and configuring the same on the corresponding tabs of the 3D View Settings window.
Apart from the basic options (Copy to Clipboard and Save As) there are several features that can be used. In the in the 3D View Settings window there’s the Insert From File option. It allows for the insertion of the other 3D Optimization reports in the .MCReport or.ORS formats. On the Inputs tab of the 3D View Settings window it is possible to set the static values for the inputs that are not selected for the X and Y axis on the 3D Graph itself.
Show/Hide Waterlevel: used as a reference point for the results. It can be adjusted with the slider on the right side of the window.
Show/hide grid lines: displays grid lines on the graph.
Open 3d graph in new window: opens a new window with the 3D graph making it possible to view the report as a Spreadsheet or 2D Graph in the main report window at the same time.
Storing Strategy Optimization Report within Workspace
Saving Strategy Optimization Report
The Strategy Optimization Report can be exported in the following formats: .MCReport, .ORS and .CSV. 2D and 3D graphs can be also saved as .PNG.
To export a Strategy Optimization Report:
- In the Optimization Report click Save as button.
- In the Save As dialog window navigate to the required file location.
- Type in the file name in the File Name field.
- Click Save.
Viewing Strategy Optimization Report in the Optimization Result Visualizer
Exported Optimization Reports can be viewed in a separate application without any other MultiCharts components installed.
Double-click on the Optimization Report file will open it in the Optimization Result Visualizer application.