Potential Feature: The ability to change symbol using commandline during autotrading.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
rc76

Potential Feature: The ability to change symbol using commandline during autotrading.

Postby rc76 » 19 Nov 2022

It will be great if you can use commandline in MC’s Chart to change symbol in real-time live auto-trading, i.e.:

CommandLine(".csy name=" + MySymbolName);

It will create many new possibilities with MC Charts and can complement the lack of such feature with Portfolio Trader to update symbols during auto-trading.

Maybe also using CommandLine Add, Remove symbols?

The feature request can be located at:
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/public/m ... es/MC-2820

rrams

Re: Potential Feature: The ability to change symbol using commandline during autotrading.

Postby rrams » 23 Nov 2022

rc76,

You can indeed change symbols using that CommandLine(".csy name=" + SymName) and then if you want to start auto-trading; use another CommandLine(".at_toggle") to make it run. The exact code can be somewhat tricky, but I do it with all my charts relably.

There must already be a dozen project management requests for the ability to programatically add and delete symbols.

I am proud and grateful that MultiCharts is one of the few companies left that listens to it's customers and even implements a democratic voting structure to allow customers to participate in the improvement process. However, like the flaws in all voting systems; not every proposal gets a fair representation of importance. We don't get to talk to the engineers to find out what is creating roadblocks, either.

It may be that bypassing the broker assisted way of adding symbols would leave out some fields like the stock CUSP ID and cause needless helpdesk issues. So, I would like to propose an alternative to your feature request that is much easier to implement.

It may surprise you to know that you can already add symbols automatically to QuoteManager! If you use the CommandLine(".csy name=" + SymName) to change the symbol to one that doesn't exist; it adds it to QuoteManager for you. However, the "Exchange" field is set to a default and might not be the one you intended. My alternative proposal is just to add an "Exchange" field to the existing .csy command and let it add the correct future symbol to QuoteManager the way it does already. There. Two minutes of work.

So, you okay with me modifying your feature request to add something that may only be a partial solution?

rc76

Re: Potential Feature: The ability to change symbol using commandline during autotrading.

Postby rc76 » 23 Nov 2022

rrams,

Absolutely, please go crazy with the modification on the feature request.

And it is so cool to know that you can add new symbols by using commandline().

The currently challenge with PT (not the Chart) is a means to add/remove new/obsolete symbols, since commandline() don't support in PT.

Return to “MultiCharts”