Back-testing Tutorials, Documentation or Assistance?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TonyB

Back-testing Tutorials, Documentation or Assistance?

Postby TonyB » 26 Sep 2012

It seems that there are no webinars dedicated to backtesting, and unless I missed it, I don't see any specific documentation that provides examples, and step-by-step instructions.

I will have some time pretty soon to finally start playing with this feature, and I thought it would be helpful to watch or read any helpful information first.

If anyone is aware of any good resources, kindly share... Thanks in advance.

TJ

Re: Back-testing Tutorials, Documentation or Assistance?

Postby TJ » 26 Sep 2012

It seems that there are no webinars dedicated to backtesting, and unless I missed it, I don't see any specific documentation that provides examples, and step-by-step instructions.

I will have some time pretty soon to finally start playing with this feature, and I thought it would be helpful to watch or read any helpful information first.

If anyone is aware of any good resources, kindly share... Thanks in advance.
You can start here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10811

TonyB

Thank you TJ.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but it's a start I suppose...

Unlike most here, I plan to use MC for equities & ETF's, swing trading generally, back-testing daily data, going back months...

Would be nice to see even the most basic of back-tests, step-by-step, to see how it was established...

Looks like I'll just need to play with it, which is fine too.

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Sep 2012

Thank you TJ.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but it's a start I suppose...

Unlike most here, I plan to use MC for equities & ETF's, swing trading generally, back-testing daily data, going back months...

Would be nice to see even the most basic of back-tests, step-by-step, to see how it was established...

Looks like I'll just need to play with it, which is fine too.
Are you looking for
The Theory of Backtesting?
Backtesting Methodology and Best Practice? or
Which buttons to push in MultiCharts to backtest?

TonyB

Not so much what button to push per se, but some sort of a step by step of even the most basic of back-tests, like a buy and sell based upon let's say an EMA cross, Keltner Channel event.

What is the sequence or steps needed to create a back-test, and execute it, over a specific time period against a basket of stocks?

It would be really cool to see what I'd imagine would be 2 to 3 minute video of how such is set-up and run...

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Sep 2012

Not so much what button to push per se, but some sort of a step by step of even the most basic of back-tests, like a buy and sell based upon let's say an EMA cross, Keltner Channel event.

What is the sequence or steps needed to create a back-test, and execute it, over a specific time period against a basket of stocks?

It would be really cool to see what I'd imagine would be 2 to 3 minute video of how such is set-up and run...
There is a link on post #1
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10811

You should make yourself familiar with those articles. They are very important and valuable information.
Trading is a serious business; there is no short cut to success.

TonyB

TJ, thanks again.

I certainly understand that trading is serious business and I'm not looking for short-cuts. If you knew me, you'd realize that is not how I conduct myself in all that I do. If however there are training / educational tools out there I'm not aware of, I'd like to know about those and all such offerings, so I can educate myself accordingly.

Just so that you understand, I clicked on that link again, and spent more time clicking further, and found some helpful items. The first time through, I got a little frustrated as there are blank pages on two of the first three links: Understanding Precise Back-testing and Using Precise Back-testing. Those two would seemingly be the most helpful...

I'll make do. Thank you again.

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Sep 2012

TJ, thanks again.

I certainly understand that trading is serious business and I'm not looking for short-cuts. If you knew me, you'd realize that is not how I conduct myself in all that I do. If however there are training / educational tools out there I'm not aware of, I'd like to know about those and all such offerings, so I can educate myself accordingly.

Just so that you understand, I clicked on that link again, and spent more time clicking further, and found some helpful items. The first time through, I got a little frustrated as there are blank pages on two of the first three links: Understanding Precise Back-testing and Using Precise Back-testing. Those two would seemingly be the most helpful...

I'll make do. Thank you again.
The link should have pointed to this page:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... acktesting

TonyB

Bingo! Thanks.

I had emailed an MC contact a couple days and was told there were no webinars or documentation, but to try the forum here, or even Big Mike's. Thanks again TJ.

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Sep 2012

Bingo! Thanks.

I had emailed an MC contact a couple days and was told there were no webinars or documentation, but to try the forum here, or even Big Mike's. Thanks again TJ.
yw

Return to “MultiCharts”