Where Are the Kase Bars?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
RickAce

Where Are the Kase Bars?

Postby RickAce » 16 Apr 2013

I am new to MultiCharts ~ is there anyway to have Kase Bars as a bar type?

I have been unable to find...

TJ

Re: Where Are the Kase Bars?

Postby TJ » 16 Apr 2013

I am new to MultiCharts ~ is there anyway to have Kase Bars as a bar type?

I have been unable to find...
Kase bars = range bars.

RickAce

Postby RickAce » 17 Apr 2013

TJ, thanks for the reply... is there any documentation to this fact? Coming from TS Range Bars and Kase bars are handled differently.

Rick

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Apr 2013

"Point" and “Point Original” resolution chart types were described here.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 17 Apr 2013

No need for Kase bars. Multicharts builds their Range Bars (point bars) correctly.

RickAce

Postby RickAce » 18 Apr 2013

No need for Kase bars. Multicharts builds their Range Bars (point bars) correctly.
MAtricks... can you elaborate on your statement? Are the range bars constructed identically to Kase bars?

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 18 Apr 2013

The only reason why TS constructed Kase bars is because their range bars are silly and inaccurate. They fill in gaps with "filler bars" that have no actual price behind them, the open is the same tick as the previous close, and they disregard sessions. In tests, they're great, in real time, they're junk.

RickAce

Postby RickAce » 25 Mar 2014

I am still looking for "Kase Bars"... would it be possible to add this myself by coding?

TJ and MATricks:

Kase bars are similar to range bars, except they use a true range instead of the range of the current bar, and they only use real data (gaps are not filled).

MultiCharts, is there a way for me to code my own "Kase Bars" (you would become my chart platform)?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 Mar 2014

Hello RickAce,

There is no way to add your own chart type to MultiCharts using PowerLanguage. That can be done only by our programmers as a custom paid project. Please contact us directly if you are interested in it.

If you are able to create an indicator that will plot the values you need on a chart - you will be able to base your signal logic on this indicator logic.

RickAce

Postby RickAce » 25 Mar 2014

Henry... thank you for your reply.

From your comments this is not something MultiCharts plans on adding to the platform?

This is what is needed for me to leave your competitor.

RickAce

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 25 Mar 2014

It's very possible to write up your own bars based on which ever data you'd like to use in MC. It will take advanced programming though.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Mar 2014

From your comments this is not something MultiCharts plans on adding to the platform?
Kase bars are not in our to-do list at the moment. Please contact us directly if you are interested in adding it as a custom feature.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 26 Mar 2014

It's very possible to write up your own bars based on which ever data you'd like to use in MC. It will take advanced programming though.
How do you work around the limitation that one cannot force the primary data series to draw another price bar (i.e. plot the next bar when the custom bar needs that)?

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 27 Mar 2014

How do you work around the limitation that one cannot force the primary data series to draw another price bar (i.e. plot the next bar when the custom bar needs that)?
I haven't run into a circumstance where I needed nor wanted the underlying price to create more bars for my custom bars to accomplish their task. Can you elaborate or give me a scenario? I use whatever underlying data I want. So if I'm using 1 tick data, this is obviously as perfect as it gets. If I'm using 15 minute data, I obviously am creating a situation where I need 15 minutes to pass before a custom bar can be calculated (I think that's what you're talking about).

MC tried to implement time into their unique bar types, but did it with a ridiculous repainting and very unreliable method which produces nothing but a pretty chart which we cannot use for anything. Take the native renkos for example. You can select a chart that has renko bars which use 15 minute data. A historical chart will produce an extremely optimistic and very fake result because they do not take into account that you MUST wait 15 minutes to paint a new bar if the underlying data is in fact 15 minute data!

I don't have Kase bars built, but here's a shot of our range bars written in EL:

The problem with writing our own bars in EL is that we must create a custom bar function for each indicator/strategy and then write a new indicator/strategy for each indicator/strategy. It would be fantastic if we could write up custom bar types and have them run as native bars in MC much like my post here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45831#p100751

This would allow the bars to be cached and it would also allow any normal code to be calculated on them.

vote for it here: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1552
Attachments
custom_bars.png
(16.58 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 28 Mar 2014

I haven't run into a circumstance where I needed nor wanted the underlying price to create more bars for my custom bars to accomplish their task. Can you elaborate or give me a scenario? I use whatever underlying data I want. So if I'm using 1 tick data, this is obviously as perfect as it gets. If I'm using 15 minute data, I obviously am creating a situation where I need 15 minutes to pass before a custom bar can be calculated (I think that's what you're talking about).
Practically any scenario, but that's because we differ from opinion in what would be a good custom bar workaround. The way you have done, with the large gaps between the bars, is not something I would call a solution (no offence intended, just personal preference).

(Btw, I've already voted for that PM request. :) )

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 28 Mar 2014

I'm not at all saying that mine is a "good" workaround at all. It works without error for my strategies and creates any bar/box I can think of, but its a lot of work to implement each strategy/indicator and its very compute intensive. In that particular screen shot the custom bars are 5pt (50ticks with this instrument) range bars on 1 tick data. I'm unsure how else this could be accomplished with Multicharts as is. I'm very open to suggestions or tips on how you'd do this if you wouldn't mind taking the time to explain it. And I'm still unsure where I'd want the underlying data to be more than it is..

All in all, I just wanted my strategies to be able to be calculated reliably on any bar/box type which is what these do. I agree, its not a pretty picture though :)

Thanks for voting! This request would make this platform a whole lot more fun :)

Return to “MultiCharts”