Daily Order Generation

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
dwitkin

Daily Order Generation

Postby dwitkin » 06 Aug 2013

Hi. I'm guessing this is easy to do, but I wasn't able to find an answer in 5+ searches.

I have two different trading strategies set up. They both evaluate about 80 ETFs based on daily data. At the end of each market day, once I've loaded the day's data, I want to be able to generate a simple list of buy and sell orders - symbol name, quantity, long/short, closing price on the signal day, and the name of the strategy that generated the order.

How do I accomplish this through MultiCharts? Through the Portfolio Backtester? Do I need custom code to write the results to a file, or is there an easier, GUI-based solution?

Thanks for your help.

TJ

Re: Daily Order Generation

Postby TJ » 08 Aug 2013

Hi. I'm guessing this is easy to do, but I wasn't able to find an answer in 5+ searches.
I have two different trading strategies set up. They both evaluate about 80 ETFs based on daily data. At the end of each market day, once I've loaded the day's data, I want to be able to generate a simple list of buy and sell orders - symbol name, quantity, long/short, closing price on the signal day, and the name of the strategy that generated the order.
How do I accomplish this through MultiCharts? Through the Portfolio Backtester? Do I need custom code to write the results to a file, or is there an easier, GUI-based solution?
Thanks for your help.
If your strategies is already coded,
all you have to do is add a line to print out the above, either to your printer, to a file, or in a viewer.

You can look up the keyword PRINT for syntax and usage example.

dwitkin

Postby dwitkin » 12 Jan 2014

So, if I print out the list of orders, is there no automated way to read them into MultiCharts and generate trades? Or do I have to manually re-type all the orders?

Thanks for your help.

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Jan 2014

So, if I print out the list of orders, is there no automated way to read them into MultiCharts and generate trades? Or do I have to manually re-type all the orders?
Thanks for your help.
> I have two different trading strategies set up.

There is a misunderstanding of semantics here.

In MultiCharts, "Strategy" means autotrade.
ie. A study that you apply to a chart, that can automatically generate buy/sell orders.

If you want to autotrade, you have to write out your logic in PowerLanguage/EasyLanguage.

You can start here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6929
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10811

dwitkin

Postby dwitkin » 13 Jan 2014

First, thanks for the responses TJ. Much appreciated.

I'm sure you are right and I'm not using the right MultiCharts terminology. Apologies... I use a few different trading platforms, and I'd like to standardize on MultiCharts for order execution if possible. Trading is a business for me, and being able to really automate daily order entry using MultiCharts would be very useful for a variety of reasons.

So, this scenario isn't completely accurate yet, but let's assume I've already written all the EasyLanguage code required to backtest my systems in the Portfolio Backtester. Based on the Portfolio Backtester results / reports and as a result of live trading at small size, I am now ready to automate.

With that said, here's what I'm looking for in terms of automation. At the end of each trading day (after market hours), I want to click a button (or a few buttons) and:
1. Have the software generate orders based on the system/code I tested in the Portfolio Backtester
2. Have the software place the orders at my broker (IB).

In this particular case, the orders will consist of a buy market order, a stop loss order, and a profit taking exit order. Each day, the prices for the stop loss and the profit taking exit orders need to be adjusted. Assume all my systems are portfolio-based, and orders are selected from 100 different ETFs, again, based on EasyLanguage code that ranks the signals.

With that in mind:
a. Could items #1 and #2 be done with out-of-the-box MultiCharts functionality and/or standard EasyLangugage code?
b. Could custom code (custom DLL?) be written to do what I'm looking for? Is there a good, reasonably-priced MultiCharts programming someone can recommend?

Thanks for your suggestions.

travelboysteve

Postby travelboysteve » 13 Jan 2014

Thanks for your help.

I'm kind of thinking that if your "strategy" has initiated a buy or sell order, and printed to a file, viewer, etc., that, that would already be part of your strategy and sent to your broker,...... no?

Sounds like you are using a scanner, not a strategy,.....

See TJ's comment on PRINT,....lots to do with that function,....dig deeper in EL

I use a write trades function along with Position Size Calc function,...so a lot of things are possible.
Nothing is "Pre-built" if I am reading you correctly.

Cheers,
Steve

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 14 Jan 2014

Hello dwitkin,

That is possible to backtest/optimize your strategy with MultiCharts prior to starting trading it.
At the moment in MultiCharts you can trade one symbol per chart only. You can have up to 100 data series on the same chart that can be used for analysis of order generation in your strategy code.
If you want to link multiple charts to share information between them – you need to use Global Variables: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _Variables
If you want to trade a certain number of instruments-you need to have a chart open for each symbol.

We are going to implement Portfolio trading with money management rules and basket trading in MultiCharts 9.0. The first beta version with this functionality is coming later this year.

MultiCharts can already place orders to Interactive Brokers broker. There are no external DLLs required for that.

Return to “MultiCharts”