Percentage Intraday Drawdown Stop for each trade

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
altoncrooks

Percentage Intraday Drawdown Stop for each trade

Postby altoncrooks » 29 Jul 2022

I would like to know is there is a function that can help me to generate stops at a level that is set by a percentage of an individual trade position. I would like to use the Maximum Adverse Excursion diagram to find the best percentage stop. But I don't know how to set a stop that would fit the percentage shown on the MAE Diagram. Is there a stop function with a percentage input or a way that I can calculate the percentage and input it into a stop function?

Are MAE Percentage Drawdowns calculated on a Total Position Basis or on a Per Share/Per Contract Basis or on a Per Trade Basis? I would really like to understand this fully.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Polly MultiCharts

Re: Percentage Intraday Drawdown Stop for each trade

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 02 Aug 2022

Hi altoncrooks,

You can use special orders SetStopLoss and SetPercentTrailing. They can close the entire position but can’t close the separate trade.
Unfortunately there is no pre-built function for MAE.
In the strategy performance report it is calculated as a percentage from the volume of each trade.
For example, there are 10 contracts at $200, i.e. $2,000. Potential loss is 50, therefore the drawdown is:
50 / 2000 * 100 = 2,5%

altoncrooks

Re: Percentage Intraday Drawdown Stop for each trade

Postby altoncrooks » 02 Aug 2022

Thank you Polly!

Hi altoncrooks,

You can use special orders SetStopLoss and SetPercentTrailing. They can close the entire position but can’t close the separate trade.
Unfortunately there is no pre-built function for MAE.
In the strategy performance report it is calculated as a percentage from the volume of each trade.
For example, there are 10 contracts at $200, i.e. $2,000. Potential loss is 50, therefore the drawdown is:
50 / 2000 * 100 = 2,5%

Return to “MultiCharts”