VWAP

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
sforbes

VWAP

Postby sforbes » 09 Nov 2023

Can we please have a version of VWAP with standard deviation bands that work with ALL chart types including Currency Cash and Futures. If you need to see how it works you can log on to TRADING VIEW for free to see it in action. It is extremenly frustrating that MC always comes up with errors on some charts and not on others, Trading View have no such problems. MC is not a cheap product it need to up it's game.

Kate MultiCharts

Re: VWAP

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 13 Nov 2023

Hello sforbes,

Do you mean that you encounter errors when using the pre-built VWAP reset study?
If so, please attach or send us the following files so that we could check it:
  1. A screenshot of the error you’re getting
  2. Workspace where the issue occurs

sforbes

Postby sforbes » 13 Nov 2023

Hello Kate,
I am not referring to the pre-built VWAP Reset, which is not really usable as a buy /sell indicator except in the widest sense.
I am refering to the indicator the code of which I attached with my initial query below, which is similar to in it's action to the one TRADING VIEW offer on their site and can be viewed for free. It incorporates 4 or 5 standard deviation bands from VWAP which are key to todays automated computer algorithmic trading, in currencies/stocks/futures
I found the Easy Lang code on this site, I do not recall where, I suspect it originated from TS. Perhaps you could have one of your programmers look at at the problem.
This is a vital indicator for trading in todays markets and should be part of the list of indicators you supply as standard.
I look forward to your being able to help with this I am a long standing user of Multicharts right back to the early days, so I would be happy to see a fully working version of VWAP-BANDS ASAP.
Kind Regards
Sue

See my previous post on discussions:

VWAP Bands Problem with Exception Floating-point division by zero

Edit
Report this post
Accept this answer

Post by sforbes » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:53 pm
MultiCharts64 Version 14.0 Release (Build 25218)
Can anybody help? I am not a coder.
I am getting inconsistent results with the attached Study and Function.
The Study works OK on the SPY, OXY and VXX but not on VIX or other charts like DVN etc but not always, there tends to be inconsistency, are there too many data points for it to cope with or too many decimal points ? However it never works on EUR.USD or other currencies.

I get a message as follows:
Error in Study "VWAP_BANDS(ERY-3Minute)" ; {EXCEPTION}

Vwap-_bands_5.pla
(19.66 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Floating-point division by zero
I cannot identify where the floating point problem is occurring.
I have attached the Study and Function.
Any suggestions as to how I could fix it would be much appreciated.
Attachments
EUR-USD with Vwap Band error.png
(74.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
EURO FUT with VWAP Dev Bands.png
(37.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
VWAP_Bands_5_Indicator.pla
(14.78 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Vwap-_bands_5.pla
(19.66 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
VWAP__B.pla
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Kate MultiCharts

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 15 Nov 2023

Sue,

We passed your request to the development team. They’ll evaluate adding the study in one of the future releases of the platform.

As for the error, the division by zero is not under condition.
Here’s a fix:

Code: Select all

if(ShareW <> 0) then begin Vari = Vari + (UpTicks + DownTicks) * (VWAPcalc - VolWAPValue) * (VWAPcalc - VolWAPValue); VolWAPVariance = Vari * (.25 / ShareW) ; end;

sforbes

Postby sforbes » 15 Nov 2023

Thanks for your help Kate,

I look forward to a working version, unfortunately the piece of code you gave me did not solve my problem. I think I had already tried it before.

It needs to be tested on for example: EUR.USD or ERY or VIX all report "Error of Floating point division by Zero".

Return to “MultiCharts”