Kraken Connection not reliable

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
DanielFXS

Kraken Connection not reliable

Postby DanielFXS » 25 Nov 2023

Hi, has anyone else got issues using Kraken. Do they limit API requests? When I run portfolio trader on a number of symbols, the loading data box gets stuck and rarely loads to 100%. I have to cancel portfolio backtesting and restart it over and over and hope the data loads. I wouldn't feel comfortable trading live with such a connection.
Also I'm constantly getting warning message "Volume of tick bar with volume multiplier for crypto is less than 1. Please configure". I understand the concept of the volume multiplier but as far as I'm aware I shouldn't have to configure anything.

DanielFXS

Re: Kraken Connection not reliable

Postby DanielFXS » 26 Nov 2023

As a workaround I thought maybe I could load data from Binance and send then orders to Kraken but then this creates it's own problems with mapping symbols as the symbols could have different volume multipliers or point values. Any suggestions welcome.

Polly MultiCharts

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 28 Nov 2023

Hello DanielFXS,

As far as we know Kraken provides the following data via API:
Cryptocurrencies:
  • tick-by-tick 2 weeks back,
  • minute bars approximately 2 and a half years back,
  • daily bars 2 years back.
Futures:
  • Tick-by-tick 1 week back,
  • minute and daily bars 3 years back.
For details about the provided data and quotes you’ll need to contact the vendors directly.

As for the error, Volume Multiplier settings for Kraken are pulled from Kraken directly, so there is no need to change them. The alert is related to the fact that the traded amounts of the crypto instruments are less than 1.
If you find these alerts excessive, you can disable them in QuoteManager -> Tools -> Data Sources -> Kraken -> Show error pop-up alert.

DanielFXS

Postby DanielFXS » 28 Nov 2023

Hi Polly,
Thanks for the reply. I have turned off the alerts.
As for the Kraken data feed, I have further researched the Kraken API's. The price data feed is pulled from their public API. My guess is that the rate limit of their API is being hit and Multicharts keeps requesting data without throttling the requests. The Multicharts Loading data window freezes. I have contacted Krakens support and they said that in such a scenario Multicharts would need to optimize the requests and needs to be fixed on Multicharts side. Please see attached loading window image. Essentially it loads a little and then gets stuck.
Screenshot 2023-11-27 114055.png
(125.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Polly MultiCharts

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 20 Dec 2023

DanielFXS,

If the issue is still reproduced please send us logs via the main MultiCharts window -> Help -> Feedback so that we could investigate it in detail.
Please select the options:
  • Attach a screenshot;
  • Attach log files…;
  • Attach minidump…;
  • Include Backup…;
  • Snapshot of the current MC setup;
  • Upload collected data to help desk;
uncheck other options and click Send.

Return to “MultiCharts”