Inconsistent QuoteManager export settings?

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
Talky_Zebra

Inconsistent QuoteManager export settings?

Postby Talky_Zebra » 24 Apr 2024

I would like to start preparing backtest data, and get familiar with how MC updates charts and data. I found the following inconsistencies, and would like to better understand it.

Below I am proceeding on the assumption that if I already have the QMS data with its downloaded values from my source, I could make a new symbol to store this data indefinitely for re-use in backtesting. Then import that data to a new symbol to use it. Also if something goes wrong with my local database, I could re-import that backtest data without having to re-download it.

I have a set of data downloaded from OANDA through QuoteManager, and I made a new symbol to store this data for reuse (ie: "EURUSD_O")

First, I made a symbol to store the new testing data, but then I did not see an option for QMS or Multichart data. So... Since I got the original data from OANDA, I set it to OANDA. Is this right?
MakeSymbol.JPG
(15.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MakeSymbolWhichToChoose.JPG
(51.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Second, I would like to export or otherwise save this data to a home network drive so I don't have to slowly download this again. I try exporting and I notice that there is an important difference between the major export types.
  • QMS Export does not allow Exchange Time Zone? Why?
  • What is the difference between "Time Expressed In" for ASCII and "Time Zone" in QMS?
ExportQMSNoExchange.JPG
(35.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ExportASCIIWithExchange.JPG
(55.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Third, when importing the QMS data to my new symbol, it sees that I already have some data from OANDA from the original symbol that matches and wants to know if I want to overwrite. Why would it do this if I am importing to a NEW symbol? Of course, I hit "No", and and the import stops.
ImportTheQMS3.JPG
(27.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet

All in all, what should I do here to maintain a library of backtest data that is separate from regularly updated trade data that is consistent with time zones, etc? The documentation does not really explain much to me for this.

Kate MultiCharts

Re: Inconsistent QuoteManager export settings?

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 26 Apr 2024

Hello Talky_Zebra,

I’d say the easiest way to have a symbol for historical data only is to
  1. Add a symbol from your data source (QuoteManager → Instrument → Add Symbol → From Data Source) and download historical data for it.
  2. Rename that symbol in QuoteManager (for example, you can change “EURUSD” to EURUSD_TEST”) or change its Data Source to ASCII Mapping: double-click the symbol and change the Symbol Name or Data Source. In that case, new data will not be loaded for it on charts.
  3. Add that symbol from your data source again. It’ll be your normal EURUSD from OANDA that receives real-time data from your data source.
If you want to have backups of your data, you can As for your questions.

QMD is a data format, not a data source, that’s why it’s not on the Data Source list.
If you’re only planning to use the created symbol for historical data, you can select any data source for it. For example, you can select ASCII Mapping, it’s a MultiCharts data source. In that case, there’ll be no connection attempts/data requests to actual data sources.

As mentioned above, QMD is a MultiCharts data format, data is exported into a QMD file as is, as it’s stored in QuoteManager, and in QuoteManager it’s stored in GMT.
As QMD files only work in MultiCharts, there’s no need for other time zone options.
Other time zone types are available when exporting into an ASCII file to make such a file compatible with other apps. For example, you might need to import it into an app which does not support GMT.

QMD files contain settings, including symbol names.
When you import a QMD file, you import a symbol, not just data, as opposed to importing ASCII data (just values) into a selected symbol.
So, if you export a QMD file, and import it back, you’ll be prompted to replace the original symbol from which you exported your QMD.

Talky_Zebra

Postby Talky_Zebra » 26 Apr 2024

Ok, this clarifies most of it for me. But I have another question about the timezones:

When I select "GMT" or "Local" on export, does that convert the time to that timezone upon exporting?

Kate MultiCharts

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 29 Apr 2024

Yes, it does.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”