Reset Price Scale

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
kelly simon

Reset Price Scale

Postby kelly simon » 30 Sep 2008

1. When I first open MC and the chart loads - essential the chart self-scales as I move across time using the horizontal scroll bar - and across all time - all price is visible.

2. If I then alter the Y scaling (to zoom in on a particular part) and/or shift the chart up or down using the cursor keys - and then...

3. Try to go back to the initial state by using Reset Price scale... (on the format menu)...

4. The Y price scale is reset (which is good) - but, however, pretty much always, one or more studies are knocked off from their 'scale same as symbol' - and then are not plotting correctly relative to price.

5. I have to go back in to each study affected and reset to 'scale same as symbol'.

Why is this guys - and what is the way round it?

Some indicators are meaningless unless scaled to price, and it would be nice to be able to 'lock' the scale same as price' setting.

Simon

TJ

Postby TJ » 30 Sep 2008

after you have selected the Scaling "Same as Symbol",

on the bottom of the scaling page...

check the box for "Use as default"

then save the wsp again.

kelly simon

Postby kelly simon » 30 Sep 2008

TJ, I'm sure that field is to instruct MC to just use that setting next time a new study is created - or - for example - use this colour every time a new horizontal line is created. I'm not sure that it locks the setting as I mentioned.

Thanks,
Simon

Marina Pashkova

Re: Reset Price Scale

Postby Marina Pashkova » 01 Oct 2008

1. When I first open MC and the chart loads - essential the chart self-scales as I move across time using the horizontal scroll bar - and across all time - all price is visible.

2. If I then alter the Y scaling (to zoom in on a particular part) and/or shift the chart up or down using the cursor keys - and then...

3. Try to go back to the initial state by using Reset Price scale... (on the format menu)...

4. The Y price scale is reset (which is good) - but, however, pretty much always, one or more studies are knocked off from their 'scale same as symbol' - and then are not plotting correctly relative to price.

5. I have to go back in to each study affected and reset to 'scale same as symbol'.

Why is this guys - and what is the way round it?

Some indicators are meaningless unless scaled to price, and it would be nice to be able to 'lock' the scale same as price' setting.

Simon
Dear Simon,

I tested the described situation on our end, but in my tests the scaling of the applied indicators always remained 'Same as Symbol' and their position relative to the data series remained the same. The only case when it did not when I moved the indicator up and down separately from the price series In this case, of course, their position relative to the data series change and the scaling changed to 'User Defined'. Which is an intended behavior.

What version of MC are you using?

Regards.

kelly simon

Postby kelly simon » 02 Oct 2008

I am attaching a workspace file which demonstrates the issue. Unless you have IQfeed, you will need to set the symbol value.

1. I am moving/dragging the right hand scale to alter the Y-axis zoom factor.
2. All studies remain scaled to each other as they move.
3. Now I choose Format>Reset Price scale.
4. You will likely see that the green 21 period moving average becomes unscaled to price.

In getting a workspace ready to send, I noticed that I didn't experience the issue when there were no other sub chart studies in the window - i.e. no stochastic / ATR or volume.

I have actually experienced this issue with all versions of MC that I have used, though this is the latest beta.

Thanks,
Simon
Attachments
wsp_scaling_issue.wsp
(151.64 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Last edited by kelly simon on 03 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 02 Oct 2008

Here's my double check:

right click on the chart... a window will pop up,

select "Visual Order..."

make sure the data series is on the top.

then,

right click on the vertical scale,

make sure the check mark is on the data series.

if both are correct, go save the wsp.

you should be good next time you open the wsp again.

kelly simon

Postby kelly simon » 03 Oct 2008

Hi TJ,
That is a good hypothesis - that the issue might be caused because the actual candlesticks are not being plotted as the foreground indicator... However, after setting the price plot to: 'visual order > bring to front', the same green MA functionality happens.

I'm wanting to explain, that it's obviously really easy to work round the issue, and it's certainly not hampering my day to day utilisation of MC - at all - of course - but just that I'm thinking the MC dev team would appreciate a heads up about this.

Thanks,
Simon

TJ

Postby TJ » 03 Oct 2008

Hi TJ,
... However, after setting the price plot to: 'visual order > bring to front', the same green MA functionality happens.
Thanks,
Simon
not just the visual order... you MUST also check the vertical scale !

kelly simon

Postby kelly simon » 03 Oct 2008

Hi TJ, I'm checking into it.
Thanks,
Simon

kelly simon

Postby kelly simon » 07 Oct 2008

I have checked this issue more thoroughly.

1. First off, I did have one occasion when 'reset price scale' functioned as it should - and the thing that was noticeable about that time - was that the symbol being plotted was at position 1 on the menu choice that appears with a 'right click' of the price scale.

I do not know if this is what actually caused the reset price to function correctly, or whether it was just a coincidence.

However, the symbol at number 1 position was not saved in that position by saving the chart, and no subsequent chart has had the symbol at number 1 position and/or had the reset price functionality functioning correctly.

2. Most times, that I have checked, the selected symbol (e.g. @ES#), though the entry on the menu that is ticked, is not at position 1 - for instance, looking now on the chart here - it is position 6.

3. I cannot see anyway to make the symbol move to position 1 - so as to test the above.

Thanks,
Simon

kelly simon

Postby kelly simon » 28 Nov 2008

I just checked this functionality on the latest beta and it is exactly the same as it was. I hope this will be fixed for Gold as it can be considered core functionality.

Thanks,
Simon

Return to “MultiCharts”