Question placing orders with EasyLanguage / MultiCharts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
DukeNukem

Question placing orders with EasyLanguage / MultiCharts

Postby DukeNukem » 27 Jun 2010

Hello all, is there a simple guide that explains how to, say, place a buy stop order which expires at a certain time or # of bars in the future (instead of after the next bar), has a set stop loss price where the trade is exited, and a take profit price where the trade is exited, and is sized according to the equity available in the account (i.e., 1% risk per trade)? I have looked all over and found that this is not an easy thing to do with EasyLanguage, or am I to blame?

TJ

Re: Question placing orders with EasyLanguage / MultiCharts

Postby TJ » 27 Jun 2010

Hello all, is there a simple guide that explains how to, say, place a buy stop order which expires at a certain time or # of bars in the future (instead of after the next bar), has a set stop loss price where the trade is exited, and a take profit price where the trade is exited, and is sized according to the equity available in the account (i.e., 1% risk per trade)? I have looked all over and found that this is not an easy thing to do with EasyLanguage, or am I to blame?
If you compare EasyLanguage to other programming languages,
you will find that a simple routine in EasyLanguage
would usually require multiple more lines of codes in other languages.
So EasyLanguage is truely easy in trading languages.

What you described above is a COMPLEX and COMPREHENSIVE trading system.

...but rest assured,
anything you can imagine,
visualize,
and articulate in logical detail,
it can be coded.

the first few posts in this thread can give you a leg up...
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6929
Last edited by TJ on 27 Jun 2010, edited 1 time in total.

DukeNukem

Postby DukeNukem » 27 Jun 2010

Thanks TJ. 8)

janus

Re: Question placing orders with EasyLanguage / MultiCharts

Postby janus » 28 Jun 2010

If you compare EasyLanguage to other programming languages,
you will find that a simple routine in EasyLanguage
would usually require multiple more lines of codes in other languages.
So EasyLanguage is truely easy in trading languages.
It depends on what the programmer is trying to achieve. I can point out many examples where a simple task is more complex to achieve in EasyLanguage but trivial in others. Each language has its good and bad points. One example is the case where I might buy 100 contracts and then want to sell smaller parcels of various sizes. To achieve this one has to use multiple lines of code to use the sell command, and keep tabs on which one is used so as not to re-use the same one.

Another is drawing an indicator line vertically. That can be worked around using trend lines but not only is it overkill and therefore resource hungry, but one loses the very useful ability to alter the characteristics of the indicator using Format Studies -> General (ie, change the color or style of the line, make it invisible, etc.).

What OP described is not an uncommon task for a manual trader yet it's complex to achieve in EasyLanguage (but it shouldn't be IMHO). The order commands have plenty of room for improvement, and hopefully TSS will enhance the language to set it apart and above TS.

Return to “MultiCharts”