Developing studies & operating on two machines  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
JensOhle

Developing studies & operating on two machines

Postby JensOhle » 25 Oct 2023

Hi there!

I changed to a two machine setup: developing studies in the morning on one machine (A) and trading live in the afternoon on another (B). There is an option to change the location to store studies into a cloud drive (which I was using already beforehand). In "Studies" the files are stored in sub-folders under "Dlls", "SrcCpp" and "SrcEl" folders. I also use a shared cloud folder for workspaces.

1) Is the following observation correct? Assume developing/compiling a script and applying it to a chart on workspace XZ on A. Then on B the new script is available in the respective folders (as dll or el file) but it is not recognized by the PL editor and (subsequently) also not by the chart when opening the workspace XY. Therefore one can't develop studies and run them on two different machines.

2) I see two workarounds: a) exporting every new study finalized on A and importing it on B. And vice versa. Or b) backing up all studies every X days / Y weeks on machine A and restoring them on B; i.e. not using new scripts for a lag time. Are there other, probably less intensive workarounds?

Thanks, Jens

Polly MultiCharts

Re: Developing studies & operating on two machines  [SOLVED]

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 30 Oct 2023

Hello Jens,

MultiCharts is a desktop app, it was not designed to save user data not locally.
We strongly do not recommend using any cloud storage with automatic synchronization to store the files required for MultiCharts proper operation.
The workarounds you’ve suggested are the only ones you can use to transfer your studies between your machines.

Return to “MultiCharts”