Compile Error, Line 0, Column 0  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
eegroup

Compile Error, Line 0, Column 0

Postby eegroup » 17 Jan 2024

Has anyone developed a permanent solution to the generated Compile Error, Line 0, Column 0 issue???

I have an Indicator script (nothing fancy, standard PL script) that requires a Repair of MultiCharts every time I need to recompile it. If I Repair MultiCharts, it will compile successfully one time. After that, the compilation again will generates the Compile Error, Line 0, Column 0.

After Repairing MultiCharts again, I can successfully compile the script again, one time, before it starts generating the subject error again.

Is there not any permanent solution to this issue? Having to Repair MultiCharts every time I need to recompile the script is a bit time consuming and a real PITA.

Windows 11, Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3007).
MultiCharts 64, Version 14.0, Release (Build 25793).

Thank you,
EE Group
Last edited by eegroup on 18 Jan 2024, edited 1 time in total.

Polly MultiCharts

Re: Compile Error, Line 0, Column 0

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 18 Jan 2024

Hello eegroup,

Please check if it is possible to compile a new empty indicator or signal. If not, please try the solution described in this Wiki article.

If the issue is reproduced only with your custom script, please try to change to Fast Compilation and compile again.
With the Fast Execution the compiler tries to optimize your script for the faster execution. But compiling it would take longer and requires more PC resources.
Sometimes the only way to compile a complicated script (with more than several thousand lines or ones with complex "if" constructions) is to enable Fast Compilation. However, it affects the script execution speed, i.e. the script is calculated slower in comparison with the Fast Execution mode.
For more info please refer to this page.

eegroup

Postby eegroup » 18 Jan 2024

Hi Polly,

Thank you for your quick response to my original post regarding the Compile Error, Line 0, Column 0 issue.

After going through all of the numerous steps included within the the Wiki article (twice), none of the suggestions for correcting the Compile Error prevented the error from reoccurring.

The solution that I found that worked, however, through trial and error, was:

1. I created a new, blank indicator, using a new Indicator name.
2. I copied the coding, without any changes, from the original Indicator to the new Indicator.
3. I compiled the new Indicator successfully, without any Compile Error being generated.
4. I recompiled the original indicator, and it continued to generate the same Compile Error.

I am posting this in case it might assist someone else who is experiencing the same Compile Errors.

I have no idea why a new Indicator, with the exact same coding, compiles correctly, and the original Indicator does not.

I am very glad I found a time-saving solution to this issue.

Regarding your suggestions:

1. I always compile my scripts with "Fast Compilation" selected.
2. The subject script is not complicated. It only has 314 lines and does not contain any complicated and/or nested "If" statements.

Thank you for your help and assistance. It is sincerely appreciated.

EE Group

eegroup

Postby eegroup » 19 Jan 2024

Hi Polly,

Scratch the solution I posted above. The reason that worked, was because an Indicator was brand new and it compile again, for the first time. Subsequent compiles of that same Indicator generates the same Compile Error, Line 0, Column 0 errors.

The ONLY way that I have been successful in recompiling a previously compile Indicator is to shut down MultiCharts completely and restarting the PC. When I do that, I again get to recompile any uncompiled Indicators once. After the first compile, after rebooting is completed, any subsequent recompiles will require another shutting down of MultiCharts and restarting the PC.

And this issue has migrated to other scripts as well, both Indicators and Signals/Strategies.

I am at a loss as to how to fix this very unproductive issue.

EE Group

Polly MultiCharts

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 19 Jan 2024

eegroup,

I believe we will need to check this issue in detail. Will it be possible for you to come to our live chat MON-FRI from 6:00 AM till 1:00 PM EST so that we can study this behavior remotely?
Live Chat is accessible from our web site.
We’ll do our best to help you.

eegroup

Re: Compile Error, Line 0, Column 0  [SOLVED]

Postby eegroup » 19 Jan 2024

Hi Polly,

That will not be necessary, to use your Live Chat. I have successfully debugged the issue and have the solution that permanently works.

When MultiCharts advised, in their procedures to resolve this Compile Error, Line 0, Column 0, to create a new folder for the Studies, as follows (in the Short Paths Section):

After the system is rebooted,
Launch MultiCharts: right-click the shortcut -> Run as administrator (if you don't have this option, use regular double-click).
In MultiCharts go to File -> Preferences.
In the Misc tab change the Studies directory: click the ... button for Studies (remember the old path). It is important to use a simple path. We recommend creating C:\MyStudies.
Close MultiCharts.
Make sure all MultiCharts Processes are ended in the Windows Task Manager.
Copy the whole Studies folder from the old location (for MC 32 bit: %allusersprofile%\TS Support\MultiCharts\StudyServer; for MC 64 bit: %allusersprofile%\TS Support\MultiCharts\StudyServer) to the new one (replacing the existing files).
Restart MultiCharts.

Those instruction are missing the important additional step that is required in order to permanently resolve the issue.

When a new folder is created on the system drive (C:\), it sets the folder up with Read Only Permissions. The Permissions for the new Studies folder need to all be set up to have Full Control for any and all accounts that want to access the Studies in the PowerLanguage Editor. As soon as I set the accounts to have Full access Permissions, the inability to recompile studies were immediately resolved. Obviously, if the new folder only has Read Only Permissions, the PowerLanguage Editor cannot write anything that it needs back to the folder, after a successful compile has been completed.

I have two systems in which the same exact issue existed. On both systems, they both suffered with the same Compile Error, and they both were resolved by setting the Permissions to Full access.

I suspect this Permission issue was perhaps caused by recent Windows 11 Updates, as both systems began to have issues after the following updates were posted:

2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 23H2 for x64 (KB5033920)
2024-01 .NET 6.0.26 Security Update for x64 Client (KB5033733)

Hope this helps.

EE Group

Polly MultiCharts

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 22 Jan 2024

eegroup,

Thank you, we will try to improve our documentation about this issue.

Return to “MultiCharts”