BackTesting

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
widgetman

BackTesting

Postby widgetman » 10 Aug 2006

Hi,
I just downloaded the latest beta version 1.90.585.638 and I can't seem to figure out how to create a signal and get it to show me the results of bacttesting. Is there any help files available to show how this works ?

widgetman

Backtesting

Postby widgetman » 10 Aug 2006

I already figured it out. This backtesting is a awsome feature.
The new beta also seems very stable so far on Win 2K SP4

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2006

Care to share where you found the backtesting. I can not find it either.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 14 Aug 2006

To use the backtesting feature you need to do the following:
-create a chart and insert a signal from the list (Insert Study->Signals tab) or create a signal of your own using the PLEditor.
- in the View menu call the Strategy Performance Report; a detailed report will be displayed.

Postby Guest » 17 Aug 2006

That i understood. I thought you would actually set the range of parameters and do a backtesting scenario.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 18 Aug 2006

With the backtesting what you do is apply a signal; if there's a need to change the strategy inputs, this can be done using the Format Study dialog for the strategy, Inputs tab.

pbastowski

Postby pbastowski » 18 Aug 2006

Hi Alex,

Are there plans to extend backtesting by providing a user interface for specifying the points below? And if so, what is the ETA on those features?

1. stop losses
2. trailing stops
3. profit targets and associated trailing stops
4. Optimization and fine tuning, as in looping through different values for user variables, within user specified ranges, to ascertain which produces the best return on investment and or best wins %
5. Money management
6. Include trade costs so that could be taken into account when running back test strategies

Thanks,

Paul

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 18 Aug 2006

Everything on this list except money management is planned for implemenetation soon.
As concerns the money management, you can create your own functions in PowerLanguagae, because we'll going to work on it later.

benysl

Postby benysl » 18 Aug 2006

Everything on this list except money management is planned for implemenetation soon.
As concerns the money management, you can create your own functions in PowerLanguagae, because we'll going to work on it later.
what is the latest beta version currently and where can I download it??

I am a register user of multicharts

Stanley Miller

Postby Stanley Miller » 18 Aug 2006

what is the latest beta version currently and where can I download it??

I am a register user of multicharts
Please check the following thread: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=1633

Postby Guest » 18 Aug 2006

Hi

I'm a registered user and wondering how to use the backtesting feature with customised indicators such as TraderLogic.

I can see the Strategy Performance Report function under the View menu but it appears to be inactive.

Please advise

Thanks

Stanley Miller

Postby Stanley Miller » 19 Aug 2006

Hi

I'm a registered user and wondering how to use the backtesting feature with customised indicators such as TraderLogic.

I can see the Strategy Performance Report function under the View menu but it appears to be inactive.

Please advise

Thanks
TraderLogic studies are not a strategies but indicators and the backtesting feature is not available in this case.

Postby Guest » 20 Aug 2006

what is the difference between indicator, strategy, signal, add-on, study, etc?

Stanley Miller

Postby Stanley Miller » 20 Aug 2006

what is the difference between indicator, strategy, signal, add-on, study, etc?
An indicator plots the result of the calculation on the screen, bar by bar. The result is dots, a line, a histogram or other graphical representation on the screen, which you can use to help you analyze the markets.

A signal plots arrows on the chart in the places where your buy and sell criteria meet. A strategy performance report is available after you apply a signal on a chart. Strategy is a set of signals (one or more).

Add-on studies are the third-party commercial products (indicators or signals). Those studies are not available for free and their algorithms are not accessible.

Return to “MultiCharts”