+1 888 340 6572 

What does "Collect RT Data w/o plotting" actually do   [ ]
#1 posted 07 Mar 2012 

Thanks Received: 6 times
Thanks Given: 9 times
Hi,

I have a real time IQ Data Feed .
Putting a symbol on a Chart , say BAC, to see actual real time data do I have to go into the quote manager and set this "Collect RT Data w/o plotting" to Connect Symbol for each symbol I am looking at? Or does this serve another function?

I am doing AutoTrading - does it serve that function? to have live data?

#2 posted 07 Mar 2012 

Thanks Received: 353 times
Thanks Given: 385 times
mefTrader wrote:
Hi,

I have a real time IQ Data Feed .
Putting a symbol on a Chart , say BAC, to see actual real time data do I have to go into the quote manager and set this "Collect RT Data w/o plotting" to Connect Symbol for each symbol I am looking at? Or does this serve another function?

I am doing AutoTrading - does it serve that function? to have live data?

You can collect data using both options, opening a chart in MC or through QM without opening a chart.

Imagine you have 2 charts opened in MC. Those 2 are being update in real time so QM is collecting the data for those 2 charts/stocks. But imagine that you want to collect the data of another 100 stocks. It's not feasible to have 100 charts opened just to collect the data, hence QM's option of collecting RT Data w/o plotting.

#3 posted 07 Mar 2012 

Quote:
It's not feasible to have 100 charts opened just to collect the data, hence QM's option of collecting RT Data w/o plotting.

Okay - what use is this then ?

#4 posted 07 Mar 2012 

Thanks Received: 353 times
Thanks Given: 385 times
mefTrader wrote:
Quote:
It's not feasible to have 100 charts opened just to collect the data, hence QM's option of collecting RT Data w/o plotting.

Huh?

Like I've told you, if you want to collect data and don't want to have all charts opened, QM collects that data.

The only thing that should be added to QM is the ability to download historic data and not only collect RT data. One option (collect RT data) must always be accompanied by the other (download historic data). What use can we do with data that has blank spaces between the hours that QM is disconnected?
QM should have an option that when connected, it searches for all missing data from all connected symbols and download them automatically.

For this message the author arnie has received thanks: 3
ABC, JoshM, NW27

#5 posted 07 Mar 2012 

It is Real time data as you said not historic so what use is it

If it was historic I could see its use for historic backtesting or applying a strategy (as a lot of strategies need historic data to make a decision)

Can not see what use is it just to collect RT data?

I thought it was to ensure that data was kept up to date real time for a live strategy or something like that?
Anyway confusing - would like MC to explain exactly its use to me

#6 posted 07 Mar 2012 

Thanks Received: 80 times
Thanks Given: 40 times
arnie wrote:
The only thing that should be added to QM is the ability to download historic data and not only collect RT data. One option (collect RT data) must always be accompanied by the other (download historic data). What use can we do with data that has blank spaces between the hours that QM is disconnected?
QM should have an option that when connected, it searches for all missing data from all connected symbols and download them automatically.

I second this.
I always thought this was a bit strange, just never got around to voicing it.

Neil.

#7 posted 07 Mar 2012 

Thanks Received: 299 times
Thanks Given: 368 times
mefTrader wrote:
Quote:

Usually data is collected only for symbols that you have charted (whatever you load on your chart gets saved locally). This option is useful if you are using a feed that provides no historical data (i.e. only TT). You can build up a local library of historical data by collecting RT data for all symbols that use, without needing to constantly open and maintain all charts every single day.

If you are using a feed that provides historical data (i.e. IQFeed), you don't need this option.

#8 posted 08 Mar 2012 

ok Thanks Stan