CPU Upgrade

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
clint454

CPU Upgrade

Postby clint454 » 28 Mar 2024

I am upgrading to either a dedicated server or VPS with GPU. A Dedicated Server has a better and more efficient use of its resources as there is no level of virtualization like in the case of a VPS. However, CPUs handle limited threads, while GPUs tackle thousands simultaneously. This makes GPUs optimal for data-heavy tasks like certain trading analytics and chart rendering.

I only have 8 charts open but my custom indicators are resource-intensive and typically load 180 days of tick data for manual backtesting on charts (no auto strategy backtesting).

Is this post below from 2013 still accurate?
---------------------------------------------------------------
‘MultiCharts is multi-thread enabled. However, each chart will only be loaded into a core... ONE core only. One core can take multiple charts, but one chart will not (and cannot) be distributed into multiple cores.’
---------------------------------------------------------------

Given my resource-intensive charts, I am trying to determine which is better for my situation. They are about the same price. The Institutional Server at $190 monthly and the GPU VPS at $200 monthly. But, if a resource-intensive chart cannot be distributed into multiple threads,, then the GPU VPS would not be beneficial.

The dedicated server is shown in the link here. See Institutional Server
https://chartvps.com/technology/

Or GPU VPS here?
https://chartvps.com/gpu-vps/

HellGhostEvocatorX

Re: CPU Upgrade

Postby HellGhostEvocatorX » 02 Apr 2024

Please pay attention to its spelling: GPU is the graphics card. CPU is the processor on the motherboard. Multicharts is primarily CPU-heavy and threads refer to the individual cores of the CPU (not GPU!).

There was also a very extensive post in this forum about why GPUs cannot be used for complex tasks like those in a trading platform like multicharts - just google it again :)

No complex graphics are displayed in multicharts, so a simple GPU is usually sufficient for image output.

There will certainly also be options to run calculations via the graphics card, but these are not integrated into multicharts...

Therefore, choose a PC with a good CPU (high clock frequency for fast calculations) and many (real!) cores if you want to complete many tasks at the same time. A good RAM can also help.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”