Instructions for backtesting

Questions about MCFX and MCFX Data Feed.
sjbuckman

Instructions for backtesting

Postby sjbuckman » 17 Mar 2007

I've just recently downloaded MCFX Pro (the beta version of course) for backtesting. I finally found a way into the Easy Language Editor (no button on my menu bar or in drop down menus) but I can't find any instructions on actually applying the backtesting. Most software programs supply some kind of manual either in the program or online. Does this program have one? How do I actually run the backtesting?

Kate

Postby Kate » 19 Mar 2007

Sjbuckman,

PLEditor can be found here: Start->All programs->MCFX->PLEditor.

As concerns backtesting, unfortunately, its description is not included in the latest version of MCFX. But I cite its description from MultiCharts Help below:

"The strategy is a set of all the signals which are applied to a chart at the moment. Each signal is a set of trading rules written in EasyLanguage® compatible language.
Note. She strategy has its own properties which do not depend on the signals' settings.

As soon as a strategy is applied to a chart the backtesting process starts. During the backtesting process the program places trades where they could possibly occur in the past according to the set of rules applied. The trades are placed throughout the entire history data available on the chart starting from the beginning of the chart up to the time point where the strategy was applied. In case the chart is a real-time chart new trades are placed starting from the above-mentioned point time as soon as suitable market conditions occur if any.

Basing on the trades placed the Performance Report can be calculated to get the strategy performance measures and statistics.

Attention. The new trades occurred are not being included in the Performance Report in realtime. To include the new trades occurred the Performance Report should be re-opened again. "

Return to “MCFX”