General question - Account Management / Position sizing / Timeframes & time zones

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
Talky_Zebra

General question - Account Management / Position sizing / Timeframes & time zones

Postby Talky_Zebra » 10 Mar 2024

In reviewing the documentation, it looks like there is some functionality in the MC NET code to support aspects I like to use in my strategies. Is there example code I could look at either on the forum here or in the default indicators + studies?

- Getting account balance, margin, and account equity: I would like to use these for position sizing, and for "emergency trade closures / cease trading" if equity goes too low.

- Forex spreads, bid-ask functions: I like to use these to avoid the least liquid times of the market... and avoid extra costs / big slippage.

- Any examples of position sizing code to look at? It would be great to get an idea of how it can work in MC NET

- Reading off of multiple timeframes (ie: 1 hr and 1 day): This still might be in the tutorials that I haven't finished, but would like to look at example code

- Time zones/GMT/Server time/Exchange time: I imported data from Dukascopy in GMT time, it is my preferred timeframe for FOREX. But, how to read and convert from the "server time" to GMT, or reverse?

Thanks

Polly MultiCharts

Re: General question - Account Management / Position sizing / Timeframes & time zones

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 18 Mar 2024

Hello Talky_Zebra,

You can refer to the following sources:
1. Getting account balance, margin, and account equity.
Initial Capital
MaxLotsHeld

2. Forex spreads, bid-ask functions.
You can create two separate charts with Ask and Bid data and refer to these data series prices.
You might also use the Status line for that. Here is how to do that.

3. Any examples of position sizing code to look at.
You can use the CurrentPosition.OpenLots to get the size of the strategy's current open position.

4. Reading off of multiple timeframes (ie: 1 hr and 1 day)
Here is the code sample you can refer to:

Code: Select all

BarsOfData(1).Close[0] BarsOfData(2).Close[0]
More info is here.

5. Time zones/GMT/Server time/Exchange time.
Please refer to this sample:

Code: Select all

using System; using System.Drawing; using System.Linq; using PowerLanguage.Function; using ATCenterProxy.interop; namespace PowerLanguage.Strategy { public class DateTimeConvert : SignalObject { public DateTimeConvert(object _ctx):base(_ctx){} DateTime timeNow; DateTime timeEsternNow; TimeZoneInfo easternZone; protected override void Create() { // create variable objects, function objects, order objects etc. } protected override void StartCalc() { timeNow = DateTime.Now; #region TimeZone ID /* Arabic Standard Time Arabic Standard Time\Dynamic DST Argentina Standard Time Argentina Standard Time\Dynamic DST Atlantic Standard Time Atlantic Standard Time\Dynamic DST AUS Central Standard Time AUS Eastern Standard Time AUS Eastern Standard Time\Dynamic DST Azerbaijan Standard Time Azores Standard Time Azores Standard Time\Dynamic DST Bahia Standard Time Bahia Standard Time\Dynamic DST Bangladesh Standard Time Bangladesh Standard Time\Dynamic DST Canada Central Standard Time Cape Verde Standard Time Caucasus Standard Time Caucasus Standard Time\Dynamic DST Cen. Australia Standard Time Cen. Australia Standard Time\Dynamic DST Central America Standard Time Central Asia Standard Time Central Brazilian Standard Time Central Brazilian Standard Time\Dynamic DST Central Europe Standard Time Central European Standard Time Central Pacific Standard Time Central Standard Time Central Standard Time\Dynamic DST Central Standard Time (Mexico) China Standard Time Dateline Standard Time E. Africa Standard Time E. Australia Standard Time E. Europe Standard Time E. South America Standard Time E. South America Standard Time\Dynamic DST Eastern Standard Time Eastern Standard Time\Dynamic DST Egypt Standard Time Egypt Standard Time\Dynamic DST Ekaterinburg Standard Time Ekaterinburg Standard Time\Dynamic DST Fiji Standard Time Fiji Standard Time\Dynamic DST */ #endregion easternZone = TimeZoneInfo.FindSystemTimeZoneById("Eastern Standard Time"); timeEsternNow = TimeZoneInfo.ConvertTime(timeNow, TimeZoneInfo.Local, easternZone); Output.WriteLine (" {0} {1} corresponds {2} {3}. ", timeNow, TimeZoneInfo.Local.IsDaylightSavingTime(timeNow) ? TimeZoneInfo.Local.DaylightName : TimeZoneInfo.Local.StandardName, timeEsternNow, easternZone.IsDaylightSavingTime(timeEsternNow) ? easternZone.DaylightName : easternZone.StandardName ); } protected override void CalcBar() { } } }

Talky_Zebra

Re: General question - Account Management / Position sizing / Timeframes & time zones

Postby Talky_Zebra » 21 Mar 2024

Thanks Polly, I will try these out and learn how to use them.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”