Datafeed from TS stops when both MC and TS are open

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Leo

Datafeed from TS stops when both MC and TS are open

Postby Leo » 15 Mar 2024

I don't know if this problem has been solved in the latest versions, but it is a long-standing problem that I and other MC users have experienced: when MC takes the datafeed from TS you have to avoid opening the TS platform: in fact, if MC and TS are both open on the same PC, within a time frame that can vary from a few hours to a few days, the datafeed stops and without any error message. Thank you for any solutions.

Polly MultiCharts

Re: Datafeed from TS stops when both MC and TS are open

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 15 Mar 2024

Hello Leo,

If the data is backfilling slow or not backfilling at all then please check that TS download scheduler (TS → View tab → Launch Download Scheduler) has not queued up MC data requests.
If it has then make a right click on the request → Schedule ASAP.

If the issue is reproduced too often, please send us logs via the main MultiCharts window → Help → Feedback.
  • Please select the options:
  • Attach a screenshot;
  • Attach log files…;
  • Snapshot of the current MC setup;
  • Upload collected data to help desk;
uncheck other options and click Send.

Leo

Postby Leo » 15 Mar 2024

Thanks Polly, the problem is not with data backfilling, I try to explain better:
1) TS MC are on the same PC
2) MC gets the data from TS
3) TS platform is closed, i.e. I only logged in to my TS account so that I can upload data to MC

Under these circumstances everything works fine. However, if I also open TS and leave both platforms open, very frequently within a few hours or days the datafeed breaks down. For example:

(a) in a 15-minute chart you can see that at some point the bar is no longer updated.
(b) the countdown in MM:SS of the bar continues as if everything is fine.
(c) when the countdown ends, the new bar is no longer created. The datafeed is broken and the only solution is to close both platforms.

When the datafeed stops, it stops for all charts open on the MC at that time and there is no alert signal.

The above happens to many people in my trading group and you can therefore easily reproduce the problem by leaving both MC and TS open on the same PC for a few days at most. Just open 10 charts on MC and 10 charts on TS and leave them alone for some days.

I cannot do it myself because the datafeed interruption can happen at any time and since there is no way to notice it except by looking at the charts, I risk stopping dozens of trading systems for hours.

Polly MultiCharts

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 18 Mar 2024

Leo,

I’m afraid the issue is not reproduced on our end, so we would like to check the logs for detailed investigations.
When the issue happened, was the chart in TS still receiving real-time data? Did the restart help to resolve the issue?
If it is possible to reproduce the issue in a safe environment, please send us logs via the main MultiCharts window → Help → Feedback.
  • Attach a screenshot;
  • Attach log files…;
  • Snapshot of the current MC setup;
  • Open workspaces…;
  • Upload collected data to help desk;
    uncheck other options and click Send.
Also please send the screenshot of charts in TS and MC.

Leo

Postby Leo » 19 Mar 2024

Hello Polly,

1) yes, TS was still receiving data
2) restarting both MC and TS solve the problem.

As I wrote my first post on Friday and you answered on Monday that you couldn't reproduce the issue, I'd say that you tested for a too short time, even considering that markets were closed for about 80% of your testing time.
As said, this issue will reproduce after some hours/days: to be on the safe side, I think the test should last 1 trading week i.e. 5 days, but from what you say I would think that you are not willing to do that.

Let me also underline an important issue: this is not something happening just to me, but to many other MC license owners, so it's not an issue related to some particularity of just my own system.

Thanks

Leo

Postby Leo » 19 Mar 2024

Hello Polly,

1) yes, TS was still receiving data
2) restarting both MC and TS solve the problem.

As I wrote my first post on Friday and you answered on Monday that you couldn't reproduce the issue, I'd say that you tested for a too short time, even considering that markets were closed for about 80% of your testing time.
As said, this issue will reproduce after some hours/days: to be on the safe side, I think the test should last 1 trading week i.e. 5 days, but from what you say I would think that you are not willing to do that.

I may run the test myself in my VPS but unfortunately I have just 1 TS license, which I'm using to feed MC for live trading.
Let me also underline an important issue: this is not something happening just to me, but to many other MC license owners, so it's not an issue related to some particularity of just my own system.

Thanks

Polly MultiCharts

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 19 Mar 2024

Leo,

Could you please also specify if the issue is resolved only when you restart TS only (without MC restart)?
In the meantime we’ll try to investigate the issue on our end.
The log files will speed up this process so if you or other users encounter this issue, please send us the feedback as described above.

Return to “MultiCharts”