How do I correctly sync strategy to live positions?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
firemag

How do I correctly sync strategy to live positions?

Postby firemag » 22 Oct 2017

I have a strategy that I am just turning on live. According to the strategy, it entered a short position Oct 18. I manually entered a short position when the market opened tonight (Oct 22). Now I want to turn automation on for this strategy. I would like to strategy to trade as though its short position on Oct 18 is the actual trade at the broker (even though my manual entry price was different).

Here is the scenario:
10-22-2017 8-40-26 PM.png
(72.68 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
I thought that the settings I needed were as follows:
10-22-2017 8-41-07 PM.png
(48.94 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
But this produces rejected orders:
10-22-2017 8-38-32 PM.png
(206.16 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
I think I am misunderstanding the use of these settings. I've read through the documentation and it sounds like these settings should sync my strategy up with the current positions held at the broker.

I have tried both "Assume the Initial Market Position at the Broker is the SAME AS on the CHART" and "Use the actual position at the broker" and they both yield rejected order errors.

So I have two questions:

1. Why are orders even being placed? I already have the positions at the broker. I don't want to place orders, but just have the real position at the broker managed by the automated strategy.

2. What do I need to do in order to have the strategy manage the position I manually placed at the broker?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: How do I correctly sync strategy to live positions?

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Oct 2017

Hello firemag,

According to the errors you have - you have not configured the symbol mapping. So the platform does not know that it needs to look at GAIN symbol and position when trading from TS chart. Please configure it and start the auto trading:
http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... ol_Mapping
As for the "Assign position" options - you have used the proper options.

firemag

Postby firemag » 24 Oct 2017

According to the errors you have - you have not configured the symbol mapping. So the platform does not know that it needs to look at GAIN symbol and position when trading from TS chart. Please configure it and start the auto trading:
http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... ol_Mapping
I think that the symbol mapping is correct. Here is what I have:
10-24-2017 9-53-20 AM.png
(209.41 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
Plus, the symbol mapping did work correctly because I placed a trade (via Chart Trader) using the same chart that has the strategy and the trade went to, and was filled by, GAIN correctly.

Is there something else that can be wrong, or some other issue with symbol mapping?
As for the "Assign position" options - you have used the proper options.
But why did MC try to place orders when I used these options? I figured that MC would have just internally sync'ed the strategy with the open position?

firemag

Re: How do I correctly sync strategy to live positions?  [SOLVED]

Postby firemag » 07 Nov 2017

Update.... Henry accessed my system remotely and helped resolve this issue. The trades being entered incorrectly was a wholly unrelated issue on my end and not due to the "Assign position" settings. The mapping was correct for BO, but needed a special multiplier added to the symbol description so that it would convert the price data into the correct format from TS -> GAIN.

albevier

Postby albevier » 10 Dec 2019

This issue is so similar to mine that I'm going to add to the post. I do not auto trade but I do enter trades from the MC chart. IB is my broker. I trade stocks listed on US exchanges. The problem concerns only one instrument, BSIG which is listed on the NYSE and is a London based firm.

- Both when the chart is opened and when an order is entered at the MC chart for BSIG a pop-up informs me that that "No security definition has been found for this request."

- When I enter the order via IB's TWS, the chart shows the active order.

- The chart will always show the Open Position as well as any Active Orders once the orders have been entered via the IB TWS

- The current P&L always remains 0
MC BSIG 121019.PNG
(24.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
- The symbol was added via the Quote Manager (QM) using the IB feed and choosing SMART exchange.

- I've deleted the data and the symbol from QM and added the symbol again but the "No security definition..." popup continues to appear and orders are still rejected.

Any one have a thought?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Jan 2020

This issue is so similar to mine that I'm going to add to the post. I do not auto trade but I do enter trades from the MC chart. IB is my broker. I trade stocks listed on US exchanges. The problem concerns only one instrument, BSIG which is listed on the NYSE and is a London based firm.

- Both when the chart is opened and when an order is entered at the MC chart for BSIG a pop-up informs me that that "No security definition has been found for this request."

- When I enter the order via IB's TWS, the chart shows the active order.

- The chart will always show the Open Position as well as any Active Orders once the orders have been entered via the IB TWS

- The current P&L always remains 0 MC BSIG 121019.PNG

- The symbol was added via the Quote Manager (QM) using the IB feed and choosing SMART exchange.

- I've deleted the data and the symbol from QM and added the symbol again but the "No security definition..." popup continues to appear and orders are still rejected.

Any one have a thought?
albevier, "No security definition has been found for the request" error is related to an incorrect symbol mapping or bad symbol mapping cache.
Please do the following:
Disconnect IB broker profile in MultiCharts.
Close MultiCharts and all of its processes.
On your PC go to the following folder:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\TS Support\MultiCharts64\
Remove all files and folders there.
Then start MultiCharts.
Go to Symbol mapping and remove the lines with the instruments that have the issue.
Click Apply.
Add the required symbol mapping, click Apply and Ok.
Connect the broker profile.

As for the PnL calculation - please refer to the following information:
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ation_Mode

Return to “MultiCharts”