MULTICHARTS 7.4 – WHAT’S NEW
MultiCharts 7.4 present significant improvement and fine-tuning of major features that were developed in MultiCharts 7. Several smaller features were added and many bugs were fixed, improving stability, calculation accuracy and trading performance.
Report bugs and request features in our Project Management system – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/
Trading Performance Report
Trading Performance Report is now available in MultiCharts. This report is similar to the Strategy Performance Report, but it’s based only on actual trades that were performed at the broker. The trades may have been done through chart trading, DOM, automated strategy or through broker’s platform – if the information on the account is returned to MultiCharts upon connecting to the broker, these trades will be shown in the Trading Performance Report.
Local SIM account for ZenFire and Rithmic
We built a simulator into MultiCharts to allow using real-time ZenFire and Rithmic data and submit orders. The orders are not sent to the broker, they are processed locally. The simulator has many features to make results close to real life – sequential ordering remembers your place in queue so fills are realistic. Partial fills happen once you reach the price, and if price moves away, the order is only partially filled. Live real-time data means trading on the same data that is used for live orders. This is a great tool for practicing trading before using real money in a real account. You can use the local SIM or connect to the server-side SIM that’s now provided by ZenFire and Rithmic.
Server-side paper trading for ZenFire and Rithmic
ZenFire and Rithmic APIs added server-side simulation to allow paper trading before users spend real money. In this environment orders are sent to the servers of the broker, and the server sends back replies. The functionality here is probably more expanded than the local SIM, but you can use the Local SIM account for ZenFire or Rithmic if you wish.
Historical Data for PFG and SSL support
PFG connection now offers historical data. Even though their FIX real-time service does not support historical data, we integrated another server provided by PFG. Also, in compliance with their latest requirements, SSL encryption is now turned on by default.
Documentation for 50 PowerLanguage keywords
PowerLanguage Help section was updated to describe 50 undocumented keywords. Check the Help file to see detailed descriptions and examples.
New PowerLanguage keywords accounts and positions from brokers
New keywords to work with Accounts and Positions through PowerLanguage. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-510.
Skipping identical ticks during calculations
New option allows MultiCharts to skip calculations on ticks with identical price in real-time. About 95% of ticks have the same price, but it for most studies it makes send recalculate only when price changes. This option significantly improves CPU usage and increases processing speed during real-time, which is essential for times when markets get fast. This option is enabled by default, but you can turn it off if needed. It works only for indicators and it’s called “Skip Ticks” in the format menu.
LMAX data feed and broker added
With some of the tightest spreads in the industry and a transparent trade execution model, LMAX is the only online FX and CFD broker that provides direct market access (DMA) to its clients on Europe’s first FX and CFD retail exchange. Award winning ‘Disruptor Technology’ allows investors fast and efficient ways to automate trading via MultiCharts, LMAX MultiCharts, free APIs (Java, .NET and FIX) or via Protocol directly through your choice of programming language. See http://www.lmaxtrader.co.uk/trading-platforms/multicharts to access LMAX MultiCharts. LMAX offers all the benefits of an institutional exchange. It is a marketplace with a public limit open order book that brings buyers and sellers together.
Commodity Systems Inc. data feed added
Commodity Systems Inc (CSI) is world’s leading supplier of accurate daily updates of O-H-L-C-V-OI data on world markets complete with official day volume and open interest statistics, and historical market prices reaching back over 60 years. Daily updates on futures, options, stocks, and cash prices are supplied via the Internet after daily market closings. Coverage includes all commodity markets traded worldwide and western world stock markets. CSI supplies data to Yahoo! and hundreds of other resellers who all choose it for its reliability and accuracy.
Support for Trading Technologies’ Multiple Gateways
Sometimes TT symbols are shown on several exchanges, such as CME-A, CME-B and so on. This way of listing symbols is now supported by MultiCharts.
Order and Position Tracker Visual Change
Order and Position Tracker now shows only one line for each order generated. Previously one order could show 2 or more lines because of Symbol Mapping settings.
Drag & Drop workspaces
Workspace tabs can now be dragged and dropped to rearrange the sequence in which they appear.
Workspace Name Handling
It is now possible to open more than one workspace that has the same name, but located in different folders. Tooltips are displayed for workspaces, showing where the file is stored or whether it’s unsaved.
Trading Technologies broker enhancement
Certain brokers using Trading Technologies require separate input fields for Price and Order connection settings. These fields have been added to the TT data feed and broker configurations. Partial fills from Trading Technologies are also now logged in Order and Position Tracker.
Adjust length of order connecting line
Active orders on your chart are connected to the Price Scale by a connecting line. This line was of a predetermined length, which didn’t suit all users. You can now change the length of this line to make orders appear closer to or further away from the Price Scale, depending on personal preference.
Trading Technologies price multiplier
Trading Technologies symbols can now be multiplied to show “correct” prices. Each symbol can be multiplied with a multiplier at the end of Description *Root* in Symbol Dictionary for TT. For example, Microsoft Corp *10, or Microsoft Corp *0.01 (always insert a period, not a comma). Prices will then be converted for TT symbols in OPT and on the chart. This works only for futures, prices for data already in the database are not corrected.
DOM colors are now customizable
It’s now possible to change colors of different elements in DOM windows including column and order colors. The menu is available through right-clicking on the DOM window. Reset to Default button will revert any custom choices to default colors.
Autotrading switches off after many rejections
Autotrading now turns off when orders reject more than N times in a row (between 10 and 20 times). This was created to prevent flooding broker servers with orders. If this happens, the user will see an error message that read “Automated trading was stopped due to an excessive number of rejected orders.”
- Ask and Bid values are now reflected in the Trade Panel below the last Trade price.
- Custom Futures now support symbols with dashes in names (eg. OpenECry’s KC-M-SH2).
- Custom Futures symbols now support symbols where month is indicated after the year (SGX exchange, eSignal data provider).
- Insert Drawing menu item was added to the context menu when right-clicking on a chart.
- Autofill suggestions by PowerLanguageEditor were improved. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=6548.
- Order processing for ZenFire broker was modified. Now limit orders that can be filled instantly are no longer converted to market order in MultiCharts. Stop orders that can be filled instantly are now converted to market orders in MultiCharts. Stop Limit orders are sent if the stop condition is not met at the moment the order is sent. If the stop condition and/or both stop and limit conditions are met, then a limit order is sent.
- Default session time for FOREX and FX exchanges was updated to Monday 00:00 -> Tuesday 00:00, etc except for Sunday. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8991 and herehttp://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-522.
- Developers: Data feeds are now registered when tsserver.exe starts.
- MultiCharts would run out of memory when plotting a daily chart out of ticks several years back.
- Creating charts with resolution “1 tick” and “N days back” would request more and more bars with each new chart. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9635#p45939.
- PFG FX symbols would be added with incorrect default settings. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9647&p=45795#p45758.
- Scaling of in-progress bars was incorrectly calculated on PFC and Kagi charts. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-490
- Charts would stop updating with TradeStation data if TradeStation was switched between Online and Offline mode.
- Daily bars plotted before a session break and daily bars plotted after would have different ending times.
- DOM window for Trading Technologies showed volume improperly if symbol did not update.
- MultiCharts and TWS were showing different volumes for ask and bid data series.
- Last bar on a chart would not be visible under some circumstances.
- ASCIIMapping would not work for some text files with tick data.
- FreeQuotes data feed would sometimes return ‘No Data’ if the request was very large. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-551.
- Tick charts would sometimes not display data even if it was in the database.
- Chart context menu would incorrectly appear when indicator context menu should appear, i.e. after right-clicking a plot of an indicator.
- DOM wouldn’t populate if symbol name is typed in and then confirmed with Enter. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8919.
- FreeQuotes data feed (made up from MSN, Google and Yahoo data services), would not return more than 4 years of historical data from the MSN component. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-22
- Always a “No Symbol” message for tick charts if a symbol was added incorrectly, but then corrected.
- Different volume in MultiCharts and Interactive Brokers’ TWS for certain symbols (Stocks, Italian exchanges). More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-659.
- Trading Technologies data feed would sometimes skip ticks with identical prices during very fast real time.
- Trading Technologies data feed would generate an extra Bid quote each time an Ask quote was received.
- ASCII Mapping would sometimes lose its settings.
- Requesting symbols from Patsystems would take a very long time.
- Exchange files were missing for some symbol roots when exporting dictionary settings.
- Minute data would no longer be requested after having the chart open for several minutes. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-748.
- Signal without IntrabarOrdergeneration (IOG) would produce more than one order per bar if another signal with IOG was applied to the chart.
- In some situations stop orders would disappear after partial fills, leaving the position open. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-544.
- Market orders would not be sent in SA or AA trading modes if Trade Size limited by Dollars per Trade.
- Partially filled order with Trading Technologies was impossible to cancel after losing connection to broker.
- ‘Flatten Everything’ command in Order and Position Tracker did not work when two MC symbol were mapped to one broker symbol. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8934#p42418.
- After a session break setpercenttrailing would fill at incorrect price. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9188.
- TrailingStop jumps to current Close price and closes the position if it’s moved to Breakeven level when price doesn’t satisfy fill conditions for these orders.
- Stop orders placed through the chart context menu had incorrect volume.
- Order statuses for PFG broker did not update after losing connection making it impossible to modify existing orders. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8919#p42152 and here – http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8919#p42153.
- Position monitoring on multiple accounts didn’t work.
- Open position wasn’t visible in DOM for Rithmic Test and ZenFire trading environment.
- OCO order emulation didn’t work if orders in the group had the same price.
- Information passing from MultiCharts to Interactive Brokers sometimes didn’t work, resulting in inability to turn on trading.
- Order placed through the DOM would lag for 1 sec between placing and appearing.
- Filled Stop orders for Patsystems would still show up as Submitted in Order and Position Tracker.
- Master Strategy would place only one exit level when more were necessary because of early partial fills. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8589.
- Prices of orders and levels would change after a partial position fill, but when AvgEntryPrice didn’t change. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9287&sid=f15416d28b47177071e50c28cc17b8fa#p44262.
- Orders would show up as Cancelled instead of Filled in Order and Position Tracker when trading through OpenECry.
- Filled stop orders through Trading Technologies would not show up with correct prices in Order and Position Tracker.
- Stop Limit order behaved incorrectly in Portfolio Backtester.
- Sessionlastbar would show incorrect value in real-time.
- Commission PerShare was incorrectly calculated on special orders with amount PerPosition.
- “Next bar” command did not work correctly when scripts were calculated during Market Data Playback.
- Certain studies that use IOG serial functions to define inputs would take a long time to calculate.
- PowerLanguage variables using “+=, -=, *=, /=” would not calculate correctly.
- Newly created variables weren’t highlighted or available for auto-completion until after compiling. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8919&sid=86c0595bed428982cfc4f28386c0ff7c#p42551.
- The auto-completion menu didn’t appear for capital letters. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8919&sid=86c0595bed428982cfc4f28386c0ff7c#p42551
- Sorting didn’t work in Export/Export Read Only dialogs. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-534.
- Strategy Performance Report showed incorrect “Longest Flat Period”. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-649.
- Text in signals or functions would be lost if signal/function was renamed before opening.
- Portfolio backtesting would stop if there wasn’t enough data for one of the symbols.
- AvgPrice keyword would calculate incorrectly. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-715.
- Signals would sometimes stop calculating in real-time when based on two data series.
- Calculations of some EasyLanguage strategies didn’t match in MultiCharts and TradeStation.
- Indicator would turn off during playback with Argument Invalid message.
- Modification of orders through autotrading would sometimes not work.
- Crash with a message “Catastrophic failure” during indicator calculations would sometimes happen.
- Exception after working with any data provider for an extended period of time, and having indicators that create and delete drawings. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-334.
- Opening several charts (eg. 1 day, EUR/USD, 5 years back) with 5 min BarMagnifier would overload RAM usage and cause a crash.
- Memory would not free up after creating and deleting drawings.
- ‘Saving Data to Storage’ window would sometimes hang when closing MultiCharts.
- Asserts would sometimes appear when using FreeQuotes.
- Error would appear when opening DOM with IB data without having a subscription. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-592.
- AtCenterServer.exe would take up a lot of RAM.
- Exception (multiple floating point traps) in PowerLanguage when setting value higher than 214748364 for SetProfitTarget. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-519.
- Exception when creating a Text drawing object on chart.
- Exception when connecting to Interactive Brokers’ TraderWorkStation.
- Exception “Invalid floating point operation” on all strategies on a particular computer.
- Assert message when importing studies, connecting to Interactive Brokers, and switching Data Server mode.
- Exception when opening a WSP file that is not a workspace.
- Exception when placing an order through DOM.
- Exceptions and asserts when calculating certain signals.
- Assert and exception messages when optimizing certain strategies.
- Assert message if Collect Real Time data is turned on and a bad tick (zero price, zero volume) arrives.
- STD exception: invalid argument message when using indicators in Data Playback mode.
- Exception when pasting symbols into Scanner window.
- Connecting an empty symbol in QuoteManager (eg. DDE symbol with no incoming data) resulted in assert messages.
- Deadlock when opening workspaces with many symbols.
- Tradingserver.exe would take up a lot of CPU if many positions were open at once.
- Portfolio Backtester would run out of memory when optimizing on computers with multiple cores.
- Assert if network connection was lost.
- Deadlock when exporting all symbols from QuoteManager on some databases.
- Exception during optimization.
- Deadlock when opening optimization settings dialog window.
- Deadlock in MultiCharts under certain conditions.
- Deadlock in TradingServer process under certain conditions.
- Memory leak in the Patsystems connection when doing multiple requests.
- Exception fixed when PosTradeExitName function has incorrect parameters.
- Exception when opening Symbol Mapping dialog window.
- “STD Exception invalid argument” error would appear when applying some complex indicators with functions.
- Exception when formatting optimization inputs.
- Exception when going to File -> Open menu.
- Exception in TradingServer process after several hours of auto trading.
- TradingServer would use 100% CPU when connecting Interactive Brokers broker profile on XP or Vista on a single-core computer.
- ASCII Mapping dialog didn’t save last used path.
- Problems with recognizing certain columns during ASCII Import.
- ASCII Mapping controls would disappear if other related programs were installed after MultiCharts.
- Incorrect default symbol mapping for some Interactive Brokers symbols.
- Incorrect default symbol mapping for some Patsystems symbols.
- Price marker would sometimes disappear on charts with colors other than default. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9228#p43819
- Daily resolution chart based on ticks took longer to show than a 24 hour chart based on ticks.
- Logs tab in Order and Position Tracker would not update automatically.
- Maximum Favorable Excursion (%) graph in Strategy Performance Report showed incorrect colors for losing trades.
- Incorrect auto-text on ‘Save as Image’ and ‘Print Preview’ dialog windows. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-611.
- Decimal separators on certain Windows localizations were incorrect (eg. Swedish).
- Symbols would sometimes appear mismatched in Format Instrument window. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-291.
- Active window would lose focus when switching workspaces with mouse clicks.
- Z-order of detached windows was broken when switching between workspaces and charts are pinned from the inactive workspace. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8843 and http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-486.
- Impossible to create a chart of a newly added symbol without closing Format Instruments window.
- When certain system fonts were unavailable splash screen was impossible to read.
- It was impossible to close the <Your PC is running out of memory> message.
- Progress number of quotes downloaded did not appear when opening a chart after session hours (when real-time was offline).
- Server Busy message would sometimes appear if local QuoteManager database was large.
- Alert would pop up informing about a new available version even if it was already installed.
- PowerLanguage hint window didn’t work for the letter ‘H’.
- Printer keyword in PowerLanguage wasn’t highlighted in red.
- Invalid symbols in “Base Study On” field of Format Study dialog. More info here – http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-630 and http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9299.
- Interface would constantly blink after opening a workspace with attached and detached windows.
- DOM windows for Trading Technologies symbols would blink constantly. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-640.
- Sorting by name in Import Studies dialog wouldn’t work. More info here –http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue.php?issue_no=MC-668.
- “Field” and “TimeZone” wouldn’t match up when requesting details from ASCII Mapping dialog window.
- QuoteManager would sometimes show incorrect status of Collect Data when it was turned on.
- Maximized inactive detached windows would open in incorrect size after opening a workspace with such window.
- Commas in indicator inputs applied to Scanner windows would cause all other inputs to blank out when workspace was reopened.
- Inputs in studies would receive an extra space in front when workspaces were reopened.
- IB’s TWS in German language would not auto respond to MultiCharts connection requests.
- Authorized connection button has a new look